Red Light Cameras...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hatehereyes, Jun 14, 2009.

1. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

today I was making a right turn at a stop light. As I was turning, the light turned yellow and I was halfway through and the camera flashes.

I heard the camera's flash only twice as a warning and three times when it actually takes a picture. but I only noticed one flash from the camera and the way my truck was angled I don't think it got my front plates. Then I had to go through the same intersection and saw that the camera that got me was the only one pointing at the corner, there were no cameras to get my back plates.

I think the only thing the camera got was my front right fender but it did get the side of my face eventhough I was wearing a hat and dark glasses.

btw, this is kind of a new truck and it still has Maryland plates on it. Even if it did get my plates, should I be expecting a ticket in the mail within the next few weeks?

2. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

Wait, are you in Maryland? That's where I am, but your location says Cali.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

From what you've given, I'd be surprised if they send you a ticket.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i think he moved to ca

5. ElectroGhandi macrumors regular

ElectroGhandi

Ah. Because here in MD, we just got speed cameras. And that pisses me off.

I will need to be getting a radar detector and a defector cover for my plates.

6. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

I thought radar detectors were illegal in MD? Or is it VA?

Anyway, I'm glad my state just banned red light cameras. One less ticket I have to worry about. :)

7. rowsdower macrumors 6502

Not to mention that multiple studies have shown that increasing yellow light time decreases the incidence of people running red lights and traffic accidents much more than cameras.

8. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Yeah, most of the info I have seen on them indicate the same thing. When people learn about the cameras, they slam on brakes at a yellow to avoid a ticket. I read one study that said in some cases, the city would actually shorten the yellow light time after the cameras were put in in an effort to boost the number of tickets. Sad. These things are not there to increase safety. They are only in place to increase revenue.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The plate covers don't work. Mythbusters covered this on 2 separate episodes, and they tried everything on the market and the camera still read the plate.

Illegal in VA and DC, but I'm pretty sure they're legal in Maryland

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Forgetting the hat and glasses (sorry buddy but they check the plate and there is a camera behind you as well) I would too be surprised if you got a ticket.

I got a welcome to Raleigh ticket but unlike CA it was $50 (cheap) and doesn't count against my record (awesome).

11. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

yeah, I hate red light cameras...$70 around here but no points on your license. but if you were already IN the intersection before it turned red then you should be fine. on top of that I've never heard of tickets given for right turns (unless theres a sign that specifically states)

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Or you could not run red lights and not speed. Just an idea.

13. iGary Guest

iGary

True.

14. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

I wouldn't worry about it. Even if the cameras DID take your pictures, as long as the light wasn't RED when you "broke through" the intersection, you didn't break any laws.

I got a ticket from a red light camera when I didn't make a full stop when making a right turn. I got a ticket and it showed four pictures (front license plate, driver's face, far shot showing red when entering intersection, far shot showing red when midway in intersection) plus a link to a video of the whole thing.

I wouldn't worry since you were in on a yellow, which isn't illegal.

15. hatehereyes thread starter macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

Oh sorry, I am in CA, but I just recently purchased the truck from my dad's cousin who was from MD.

so even if they got my plates, would I still be getting a ticket with the MD plates and all?

after looking at google maps I found the intersection and the corner I was making a right on and there were cameras behind me. DAMN!

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&i...oid=8m-z5Zq8d-9TOlQhfFi52A&cbp=12,28.75,,0,20

I was making that corner and when the flash went off I was already pretty much passed the white lines.

Also the way I was coming into the corner, I was coming from the third lane over behind the the Grey Navigator or expedition

16. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

I'm waiting to see if I get a notice in the mail. Came to an intersection with a camera, stopped before the line and looked to see if I could make the right turn. No cars coming so I pulled forward to make sure it was clear (building blocking full view when behind the line) *FLASH*

At least it isn't a traffic ticket in IL, just a ordinance violation.