Red Light from Headphone Port?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JML42691, Nov 5, 2009.

1. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

I went to plug my headphones into my Macbook and I noticed that the tip of the plug was glowing red, when I turned to look at the side of the computer I nonticed that there was a red light being emitted from the headphone port and the sound icon on the menu bar was grayed out. Any ideas? Is there actually a light in there? What does it mean?

I'm uploading pictures right now, they'll be up in a few minutes.

My MacBook is a late-2007 White MacBook running 10.6.1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its the laser for the optical output. Everything is OK.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Um..if that light is always on, everything is NOT okay. That means the little clip on the inside is stuck causing the computer to think a mini-TOSLink plug is plugged in.

OP, the general solution is to either try and use your headphone jack to get the plug to set back into place, or by gently using a wooden toothpick. You can find a ton about this on google/by searching around on here.

4. eman macrumors 6502a

Yes, one of the micro switches is stuck in the headphone jack. Insert your headphone connector in jack and insert and remove to free the switch.

5. JML42691 thread starter macrumors 68020

JML42691

This has happened a few times, and inserting and removing the headphone jack turned the light off. Thanks.