Red Light Headphone Jack

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stw7651, Jan 28, 2013.

1. stw7651 macrumors newbie

Before everyone comes in here proclaiming to "search the forum", I know, I have, my problem is slightly different.

To start, the symptoms are the same, red light comes out of the headphone jack (though it is intermittent) and the External speakers won't work even when the light isn't on. The volume buttons have the cancel symbol and you can't adjust the volume. Plug a headphone in and I get sound. I also get the boot up sounds out of the speakers.

It is a Macbook Pro 15" Intel that I bought last April 2012.

These are the steps I have taken to solve this issue and have not worked:

1. I did the toothpick trick, the wiggle the headphones, and blowing air in there. Do not suggest anything metal, I am not risking it.

2. I took it to the Genius bar, they noticed how it was intermittent and couldn't solve it so they suggested it was a software issue and to reinstall Mac OS X(Lion).

3. I reinstalled it. No luck. I even formatted my hard drive and tried reinstalling Mac OS X again. I didn't use Time Machine, a fresh install, didn't help.

4. I've been wanting to get Mountain Lion, so I upgraded to see if a new OS will help. It didn't.

5. I am going to probably take it back to the genius bar, but I first decided to boot up in my windows bootcamp. That damn red light came on again but...The sound worked out of the external speakers in windows. This confirms software issue? Or does windows communicate differently with the headphone jack, therefore still hardware?

So at this point I have no idea if it is software or hardware issues. I will take it back to the genius bar, though I prefer not to because they are a waste of my time.

Any suggestions, or maybe I did miss a forum with this issue, please link me and I apologize in advance if I missed it.

2. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like a hardware problem. Its probably outputting to both your speakers and headphone jack via windows.