Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
I have noticed that in the tower of my second hand PowerMac G5 Dual Core 2.3 that I just bought there is a red light that burns on startup and shutdown. It's not the small lamp outside above the power button. It's inside the machine where the red light spreads. Is this normal?

Last edited:

Mac Hammer Fan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 13, 2004
I just checked the machine with Techtool Pro and no errors were found. However, I want to be sure about that red light. That didn't happen in my former Dual G5 1.8.

reddrag0n

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2007
Canada
Check to see if that red light is on while the machine is doing regular tasks. IE email, iTunes and such. If it is still on and it looks like it is coming from the CPU's, that would be the overtemp led. AKA the processors are getting too hot.

doctormark77

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Houston TX
this might seem out of left field but when i had my 1.6 single G5, the fans would max out and that little red light would light up when ever i took the plastic side panel off, not the metal one with the apple logo but the plastic one. i would make sure that panel is all the way in.

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
this might seem out of left field but when i had my 1.6 single G5, the fans would max out and that little red light would light up when ever i took the plastic side panel off, not the metal one with the apple logo but the plastic one. i would make sure that panel is all the way in.

As far as I understand what the TS meant is that the RED light does turn on for a short time once going into power on state and shutdown state.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.