Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlownCobraGirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
Georgia
I dropped my beloved iPhone 3G in the toilet this morning. I immediately pulled it out, turned it off, and began to blow it dry. The phone fires up and everything seems to be working now, except I have a red light on next to the speaker. I'm sure it's a sign of trauma or something, but is there a way to turn it off? I have tried a hard reset but it had no effect on the red light. Info would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

PS- I know I should be more careful with my phone before anyone says it. LOL. :D

svndmvn

Nov 6, 2007
Italy
the iPhone has a few sensors
iphone-sensors.jpg

can you see that light at night or in a dark room? I hope it's just you not noticing it before..

neesh0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Do you mean a red dot in the headphone jack? That is a water sensor, if it is red that means your warranty is void because apple will know you got the phone wet

tremlock

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2008
The Land of Cleves
weird....haven't seen that before... do the sensors still work? as in when you put your face to the phone, does the screen go black? or stay lit?

Xtgirl

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
Well that looks like one of the sensors....at least it looks like it is in the right location....how very strange. Maybe with some more time it will go away...

Are the white water dots now red?

neesh0

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
wow, that is weird, maybe the light from the screen is leaking into the sensor, does the screen turn black when you are talking on it?

Lukas Prime

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2008
That is awesome... now if only someone could reprogram that light to flash on when you have an unread sms or whatnot

VenomousSVT

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
that is def crazy weird!!!!!!! i didnt even know there was a light on the mobo there!

i would give this a try.. take it to an apple store and tell them that this thing is lighting up.. see what they say. They may swap it out, they may tell you that it has been in water and thats what happens. Either way you will prob get an answer.

and when you do PLEASE post it up!!

BlownCobraGirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
Georgia
weird....haven't seen that before... do the sensors still work? as in when you put your face to the phone, does the screen go black? or stay lit?

It seems that the sensors are still working because the screen will turn off when to my face and turn on when I move it away from my face. It also responds to me moving the phone when viewing the net in Safari vertical and horizontal. It's very weird.

BlownCobraGirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
Georgia
Well that looks like one of the sensors....at least it looks like it is in the right location....how very strange. Maybe with some more time it will go away...

Are the white water dots now red?

I'm not sure what the white water dots are. Where can I find them?

BlownCobraGirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2008
Georgia
that is def crazy weird!!!!!!! i didnt even know there was a light on the mobo there!

i would give this a try.. take it to an apple store and tell them that this thing is lighting up.. see what they say. They may swap it out, they may tell you that it has been in water and thats what happens. Either way you will prob get an answer.

and when you do PLEASE post it up!!

Great idea. I'll do that if it doesn't turn itself off in a few days and I'll be sure to update this thread. Thanks!

kAoTiX

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Midlands, UK
Does the sensor to tell the screen to dim in the dark still work? I'm unsure what sensor that could be. It is truley strange that's for sure though.

Will apple replace iPhones with water penetration as it will be obvious if they open it.

leodavinci0

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
It's the Infrared proximity sensor.

The fact that you can see it shine is weird. From the pic it looks almost as if the water is lensing the IR light in some way that lets you now see it. But it seems logical that the water has created another pathway for current, which in turn is affecting the current of the IR LED and causing more light in the red spectrum to shine. Just a guess. BTW, these things work by shining an IR light out, and when it is reflected it is received by the IR phototransistor next to the IR LED, which turns off the screen.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Maybe it's a warning light that tells Apple not to replace the iPhone because it was dropped in water... hehe. No idea. Looks kinda cool though.

mrpetes

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
the iPhone has a few sensors
iphone-sensors.jpg

can you see that light at night or in a dark room? I hope it's just you not noticing it before..

the same thing happened to my phone about a week ago..

the red light that comes on is a "C" with a dot in the middle. it is on the opposite side of the sensors shown in the photo - it is directly next to the ear jack.

unfortunately, the genuis' told me the same thing.. that it's a sensor that you can see in the daylight... except, this is not a sensor.. its a light.. and can be seen in a pitch-black room..

since then, i replaced my phone.. but still curious as to what this light is..?

darylj

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
Red light displays next to ear speaker

I spilled some water on my iPhone last night (not submerged) and saw what you are talking about for a short period of time this morning. The red light displays as a "C" kinda like a power on/off symbol. It blinked as if it was an access light similar to what you would see on a hard drive when the computer is accessing the drive or when a router (wifi?) is accessing data. I guess the moisture dried up since the red light is no longer visible.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
its a shame so many people have seen this too yet no one has ever produced a picture of it :(

There's no pic, because it's bunk. There is no "light" that comes on when you get water damage. The headphone jack and dock connector have a strip of white paper that turns red/pink when they get water. The "lights" in the OP are proximity sensors, which can be seen under certain lighting conditions.

kmlee1113

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2010
this is my co-workers 3GS

just started happening over the weekend.. she said she dropped her phone and it started doing this only during calls

4787221878_1c250740e8.jpg

3uzfte

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2010
Same thing.

I bought a broken iPhone 3G on eBay for a good price, and I power it up and I see this red light, which is a dimmly lit red C, with a dot in the center of it. I don't know the history of the phone, but everything appears to work fine except for the Digitizer. I thought I would add a picture to tell you it is true, however I still have come across an answer yet, once I do, I'll be sure to post.
5ede2de5.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.