Red light on memory board 4GB ram not working

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tayh, Nov 12, 2013.

1. tayh macrumors member

Hi all!

Yesterday i installed my new SSD in my mac pro 3.1, i did a clean install of mavricks and i just wanted to see if everything was ok! Then i see I only have 12GB of RAM which is weird because i have 8X2GB installed. Then i open then case and see a red light on the memory board.

I took out the board (B) and removed the 2X2GB that didnt work and the red light was gone.

I also tried just to take and the board and put it back in, but same problem. I also tried to put the working RAM in the same slots as the bad ram and It was working, so i must be the 2X2GB sticks thats just not working?

So How is it possible that 2 memory sticks dont work, just from one day to another? And is there anything i can do to try fix it? :confused:

2. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

Is your RAM under warranty? Better brands have lifetime warranties. If the fault moves with the two sticks, you should be able to get a replacement.

3. tayh thread starter macrumors member

The Brand is Kingston and they have lifetime warrenty so it should be possible. I will try to contanct the European Kingston Tech support.

4. barmann macrumors 6502

I had a similar problem with my MP 3.1 , when I installed new RAM .

After moving around the sticks a few times eventually all sticks got recognized, and the red lights went off on the one riser that was acting up.
    So I assume there was a loose connection somewhere .

5. tayh thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply! I will try to move the sticks :)

6. tayh thread starter macrumors member

So i just got a reply from Kingston:

Dear Tay

Please note that Kingston has discontinued the production for 800 MHz Fully-Buffered DDR2 memory modules.

This was caused by a chronic shortage of components required for the manufacturing of such products.

As the part KTA-MP800K2/4G is 800 MHz Fully-Buffered DDR2 memory, we are no longer able to provide you with an equivalent replacement.

We are however offering our customers the opportunity to return their parts in order to replace them for a module built with standard DDR2 or DDR3 Technology.

In order for this to be arranged, please let us have the make and model of an alternative PC system and, should our Returns Department request this, a copy of the original proof of purchase.

So It looks like I have to buy me some second hand sticks :(

Will this set work? It has the same specs, just another brand?

http://www.proshop.dk/RAM/Micro-4GB-DDR2-800MHz-(2x2)-2304307.html