Red light on riser card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Chad H, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Chad H macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Hey guys,
    I have developed a weird problem. Yesterday, I unhooked everything from my MP to install the following: 2nd superdrive, 2GB RAM stick, Intel SSD, stock Nvidia GT120(slot 3). Now, I have since taken out the additional RAM because testing showed faster memory tests with 3x2GB ram sticks vs 4x2GB. I'm assuming because of tri-channel memory. Anyway, now when I cut the computer on I'm getting a brief red light flash on the riser card. I have looked in system profiler and it shows all DIMM slots as "OK" and is showing 6GB of RAM. I have inserted the OSX DVD and ran a short and long hardware test and nothing shows up wrong or problematic. The computer as you can tell in my other thread about SSD benchmarks is running at great speed! The only true weird thing is when I tried to boot from the OSX DVD to restore from a time machine backup on the Intel SSD, the MP hangs up on the grey screen with the apple logo(spinning wheel is there but freezes eventually) and on my second monitor is shows a box that says "You need to restart your computer". So this is a kernal panic, no? Any thoughts would be great guys. The nearest Apple store is over 2 hours away and the same goes for an authorized shop.

Also, I installed the stock HDD and the factory RAM and the light still remains. The only way I could use my SSD was to use carbon cloner and put the SSD in bay 4 and go that route. Everything worked fine and the SSD is now the boot drive. But, its kinda irritating because if this thing fails I can't boot from the OSX DVD to restore. The only thing I haven't done is remove the Nvidia GT120 but I had to re-install that crappy thing because I am running 3 monitors now. I have my main monitor(dock) hooked to the GTX285 and monitors 2 and 3 running of the GT120.

2. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

The light is brief? All mac pros are supposed to briefly turn on riser LEDs upon boot.

3. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

Maybe I have never noticed it. Its briefly flashed upon shutdown also. What would be the cause of the OSX DVD problem?

4. j2048b macrumors 6502a

thats odd,

my 08 mac pro turned off byitself last night, bam just like i hit the restet button, then it had a red light under the top memory card on the mother board that would not shut off until i hit the power button and reset the computer.

what is going on?

I will post another posting entitled : AN APPLE PRODUCT SPEC HUNG UP ON ME YESTERDAY!!

SO YOU GUYS CAN SEE WHAT ELSE HAS GONE WRONG!!

but what could the top 2 issues be?

5. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I had a riser card replaced under warranty and it is normal for the card to flash when turning it on. In my case it wasn't the riser card at all, it was the ram. I had one stick that was giving me problems. Sometimes the red light on the riser card stayed on and other times it didn't. Over time taking the ram out and switching it in the other riser card I found out what stick was going bad. BTW, I have a early 2008 Mac Pro...

6. mrduck macrumors newbie

Im about to buy 8GB in 2Gb sticks for my 1st gen MP, i had the original 2 x 512 in one riser card and another 2 x 1Gb in the other riser card.

One day i took it to record on location and it didnt boot, i figured the riser card might have moved out of place from the trip, so i opened the MP, took out the risers and reinserted them, i noticed one riser with the red led permanently on, and moved the RAM to the first riser card, only 2Gb where detected... i didnt try moving the 2 working module (cause i didnt know if the riser damaged my ram) i'll take a look later today to see what is going on

My question is: where can i purchase another riser card and how much will i really miss if i instal the whole 8Gb in Riser A?

Thanx!

7. Chad H thread starter macrumors 6502a

Chad H

I would assume directly from Apple. What year is your Mac Pro?

8. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

1st-gen would most likely imply the 2006 model, unless he's talking about a 1st-gen 8-core (2007).

Assuming you have a 1st-gen 4-core, it's Apple Part No. 922-7695. Can be purchased here.