Red light showing from processor/memory board

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by eyeangle, Mar 21, 2014.

1. eyeangle macrumors member

eyeangle

I searched this but found different people say different things. I recently had my logic board replaced by a mac technician and now a red LED light is always on next to the processor. Even when the Mac is turned off.
    IMG_0485.JPG
    The memory seems to be alright showing all 24 GB in About This Mac and the mac runs properly it's just this red light wasn't on before the logic board was replaced.

2. WildBB macrumors member

WildBB

In my experience on prior Macs, if the red lights on the motherboard stay on, it indicates a problem/failure/error/temp issue...etc... Not sure about the newer model, but I am guessing it follows suit.

Why don't you return it to the Mac tech who worked on it and ask him to troubleshoot. I think it is like having your engine light come on in your car... it could be quite a few different things.

3. APlus84 macrumors member

APlus84

Occasional Light

I get an occasional (infrequent) blinking of this same light. Today it was when I was making an MKV with HandBrake. Handbrake does like to use the processor.

Mac seems to work fine.

Service on Molokai is not an option so any ideas would be appreciated.

4. mikeboss macrumors 65816

mikeboss

excerpt from the service manual:

Processor Diagnostic LEDs
    The dual-processor board and single-processor board include a diagnostic LED for each processor. The following illustrations show the location of each LED and its associated processor. These error LEDs are normally off. A red illuminated LED indicates the associated processor may be missing or in overtemp state (PROCHOT).

5. APlus84 macrumors member

APlus84

Thanks.

Hopefully, it is just a little cooling. It is dusty here as we don't run A/C at $0.46KWh. I'll check it out.