Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
The Grood said:
Couldn't live with a Red Mac.

Could run to a Red mouse.

How about it?

To paraphrase my UK friends..

"WTF are you on about mate?"

Can you please elaborate on what you're talking about? You don't like the red iMacs from 1999, but you want a red mouse?

The Grood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
FYI:

RED = Bono AIDS brand extension campaign: eg Red AMEX card, rumoured Red iPod etc...

Point being, want to support the cause, but don't want a big red Mac on my desk.

(PS. weird, but not mental.)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
And here I thought Red was a color.

Since there's no such animal as a red iMac (unless one gets a regular iMac painted) to support Bono's cause, you need not worry about having one on your desk. And since there's no red mouse to support Bono's cause, you need not worry about that either.

Unless you're suggesting a "Red Mouse" as a brand extension along with the rumored "Red iPod"? Not sure where the Red iMac came from..

The Grood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Just assuming Apple will launch a 'Red' something (anything)...

What would you buy?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Ah.. finally.. we reach the rub.

So.. your original post might have gone something like this and made more sense:

I am intrigued by Bono's brand extension of the color Red to support AIDS awareness and research. There's been a rumor of a red iPod for a while now. What if the brand extension made it's way into Mac desktops, laptops, or accessories? What would you buy?

To which I would answer:

Nothing.

The Grood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Oooooooooooooooh sarcky!!!! :D

Thought you might have read a newpaper, watched the news or read the posts about red iPods recently. My mistake.

So nothing red will cross your threshold then?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
The Grood said:
Thought you might have read a newpaper, watched the news or read the posts about red iPods recently. My mistake.

Neither my news, nor my paper has anything about 'red' items. As for posts about Bono or iPods, I'm not interested, and therefore wouldn't read them.

And anyway, even if I had, your original post was incredibly cryptic.

And no, nothing red will cross my threshold. I'd prefer to donate my money to the cause, rather than a portion of it so I can have something red.

http://www.keepachildalive.org/donate.php

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Well hopefully someone will weigh in with a better opinion than mine on the thought of red accessories and the like.

Apple is a bit greedy though.. I can't image this would ever happen. The only time I remember them being 'charitable' in any way was after the tsunami. The main page was a giant banner to donate to the Red Cross.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Would I have a red iMac on my desk, absolutely! I had a fire engine red Jeep, so the garish color works for me. Both for the color and the cause, but only if I needed a new iMac, would I make this choice. So the Red branding does little if I do not need a product, or if it isn't the exact product that I want.

Here's the deal with specially branded devices designed to support NPOs and NGOs. The idea is that some people will buy it to show their support. Others will buy it because it is different, regardless of the cause. If you don't want to show your support by having a Red product, but still want to donate to the cause, then nothing is stopping you.

For me, I'd rather donate directly, especially if there is a matching program, rather than buy something that gives a percentage.

Each year on Earth day, I visit the NPOs that I support and drop of what cash I have saved for donations, and make t-shirt purchases. Buying a supportive T-shirt is the same as purchasing a branded product like Red, so technically the NPO gets less money, but I was going to buy a t-**** anyway. I would rather x charity receive profits, instead of some commercial company.

My donations count most when there is a matching donation, like for every dollar I donate, somebody else donates the same or greater amount. I donate to NPR when I hear that somebody is offering to match donations.

I don't expect Apple to team up with Red, mostly because it is an unsubstantiated rumor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.