RED (.r3d) Workflow export from FCP?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MBX, Feb 24, 2010.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Hey there

What is the easiest way to export my edited footage from FCP as 3k uncompressed footage which it was shot at?

I'm using the RED (.r3d) proxy files in FCP which are these smaller quicktimes. I noticed on the RED support page it talks about using the Assimilate Scratch software to export EDLs from FCP to be able to export as 4k/3k/2k but as far as i know Assimilate Scratch is a commercial software?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

you can't export uncompressed 3k from FCP... I believe FCP maxes out at 2k currently.

since you cut from the proxies, you'll need to somehow relink to the original r3d files. this is usually done with an XML/EDL when going to final color grading.

what are you trying to do with the export? go to a colorist?

3. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks but why would I want to go to a colorist? I just want to export some .r3d footage and want to do it myself :)

Is there any free third party software that can utilize FCP edl's for exporting .r3d native resolution?

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

5. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

6. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

no, you would conform in another application capable of 3k finishing or do a 2k finish in FCP... and this clipfinder process also renders the clips to a finishing codec (not native REDcode RAW).

you may be able to use clipfinder to conform your proxies to the RAW files by L&T everything RED native and conforming to those QT files. You could then do a 3k grade in Color and send that to a 3k capable finishing app.

7. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Currently, there is no way to actually export video as R3D. Only the RED One itself can write to that format.

If you plan on coloring and finishing yourself, the two most common ways to do that is via a Color or Redcine workflow.

If you have FCS3, you have Color 1.5 and that will support up to 4K workflows natively. You would use an application like Clipfinder to link your off-line media (whether you edited with QT proxies or rendered off-lines) to the original R3D files and export an XML that you would then bring into Color to start grading. If you have Color 1.0 (FCS2), it will scale 3K footage down to 1.5K (2K limitation). Color 1.0 also requires an R3D plugin (available free from RED). You can also use FCP's Media Manager to do the same thing, although it is a more complicated process.

For Redcine workflows, you really want Crimson Worklow (not free, though - about $200) because it's capable of exporting Redcine XML files.

That being said, FCP still doesn't support frame sizes greater than 2K in a timeline (it'll automatically scale down to accommodate) and you'll likely be finishing in either 2K or 1080p for delivery like most the world does.

Anyway, you'll find a lot more helpful workflow information on RED's support forum, reduser.net.