Red Ring of Death

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by ChrisN, Dec 7, 2008.

1. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Hi all well on Friday night I got the red ring of death, only 1 ring in the lower left or right (i really don't remember) quadrant and I get error code E 74. Well I am just wondering will Microsoft fix it for free or do I have to pay? Anyone else have this error and what did you do?

Thanks,
    ChrisN

2. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Under warranty it is free. They sent me a new console all together for my problem :) TWICE

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol its very common...ive had 5 rrod on me

call up ms and theyll fix it free

though it takes a while for them to ship it back to ya

4. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Did you all have 3 rings, I just have 1 but I'll call them up and I have to dispute my warrenty I guess....

ChrisN

5. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

I believe that the 1 ring means something else. Have you tried unplugging everything (including the hard drive) and plugging it all back it. I think my friend got that error once and doing that worked for him.

If that doesn't work, call up MS.

P-Worm

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If it is just one ring, then you simply have something slightly dislodged.

Most likely the AV cable or HDD. Simply unplug those and make sure they are plugged in fully.

7. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

On Friday when I first got it I ran to my laptop and researched this and saw all the posts online about AV cables and I unplugged/replugged everything and nothing was different but I will try again today.

Thanks guys,

ChrisN

8. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

I've seen over 10 threads on various forums with people having this issue (Including me). I sent my xbox in last Friday because it gave me 1 ring and error E74. I called M$ that night (Yes they where open), and told them the situation. They said my console was in warranty and it will be covered. They will ask you to try different A/V cords, just tell them you have tried with no success. It will speed things up. Right now, the online status shows "Repair in Progress", its been like that since Friday. Hopefully it will be completed by tommorrow, and be on its marry way.

If you have a spare box with padding, I suggest you go along with their E-Label option, as it is faster than waiting for a box.

9. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Could be faulty AV cable, I got that sometimes with my old component cable sometimes, needed to be jiggled a little bit, then it would happily boot just fine.

10. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Oops. I thought this was going to be about how you spent to much time playing your DS or PSP while on the toilet and were left with that red ring of death.

11. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

Wow...I.. Wow.... I Think I get it....

12. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

It would cost me 94 dollars because it is out of warrenty but I could dispute my warrenty which i don't want to do.... Also I will try my xbox on a different tv if that does anything.

Thanks,
    ChrisN

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

how is it out of warranty? I thought microsoft upped the waranty to 3 years on all xbox 360's.

And as the 360 was only released in Nov/Dec 2005, the only way it would be out of warranty is if it was a launch machine.

:confused:

you may want to double check that.

14. ChrisN thread starter macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Device: Xbox 360 Pro System
    Serial Number: 055630263007
    Warranty Type: Standard
    Warranty Start: 12/30/2006 9:47:00 PM
    Warranty Expiration: 12/31/2007 3:59:59 PM
    STANDARD WARRANTY EXPIRED: A three-year warranty applies to Xbox360 conditions indicated by three red lights.
    Is this the warranty you plan to dispute?
    Yes
    No

I don't know if I want to bother with it anymore

15. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

This is basically what happened with the warranty. If your console was pre-RRoD you had a standard one year limited warranty. Once that was up you needed to rely on a different warranty. When the RRoD problems started to get frequent, they supplied 3 years of warranty for RRoD related incidents only for these customers.

Consoles bought after the RRoD incident received a full 3 years of warranty, as opposed to pre-RRoD consoles only receiving 1/3 of this.

If you would want to attempt it, you could try fixing the problem yourself. Infact, since you have nothing to lose, crack that baby open and follow a few youtube tutorials. They are pretty straight forward and easy to do.

16. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

May as well stick a mod chip in there to play imports... I know I would.