Red smart cover experiences

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by mentaluproar, Jul 22, 2011.

1. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I love the red smart cover, but I've read that they leech ink onto the iPad itself. Does anyone have a red smart cover? How long have you owned it? Have you had any issues?

2. Fuchal macrumors 68020

I've only had mine about a week. I haven't had any issue with bleeding at all, yet.

3. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Same, had mine for a few days and have no problems. I have a black iPad though, not sure if that makes any difference.

4. h00ligan macrumors 68030

How would it leak ink through the microfiber?

I have one.. it's fine. You have to be careful with it, it's not durable and will end up looking like crap very fast if you just chuck it about. The 'weathered' look does not go with the color at all.

5. glen e macrumors 68030

Try kiwi natural (clear) leather cleaner/moisturizer to keep a red cover like new.....

6. Digidesign, Jul 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2011

Digidesign macrumors 6502

What about a glycerin based leather conditioner like Lexol?

Ok, just tried it, it will darken the leather considerably wherever you apply it. Not bqd if you like the aged rich leather look (turns a crimson red) but will blotch depending on how you apply it

7. Digidesign macrumors 6502

Update: So last night I carefully coated the red smartcover leather with the leather condintioner and like I said the color became darker, but splotchy and uneven.

This morning the splotches are gone and the cover is pretty even. Overall a slightly darker and richer shade of red. I'm very pleased with the result :D

8. rhuarc3 macrumors member

rhuarc3

I've had mine since may. And it's held up pretty well. It's not clean and shiny anymore. I have a two year old who touches it with dirt hands. Still looks pretty good. A couple darker spots and scratches, but it's leather and untreated so I expected that. If you treat yours and clean it, I don't see why it wouldn't hold up well.

9. waynema, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

waynema macrumors member

Ive had mine replaced by a genius, what a pleasant surprise! 1/4 of the leather got discolored after getting wet by rain, heads up: keep the leather dry at all times or you will be sorry

10. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Lexol is one of the things I used that ruined mine. Weird as it works great on tue furniture and car.

11. bobright macrumors 601

maybe it's part synthetic

12. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Nice , how would you go with a Black leather smart cover. Got 1 last night and would love to keep it mint as long as i can.

Any el cheapo method? i dont wanna spend $50 for a leather condition.

13. glen e macrumors 68030

The kiwi above is 6bucks...use it in on everything

But last time I looked the LEXOL was 15....

14. mentaluproar thread starter macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I got the red and adore it! No running or bleeding. I hate the striping from the creases in the cover, but it's simple enough to clean. It looks fabulous on the white iPad and seems quite durable. Thanks for the advice.