Red Tint on Antiglare 15" Core i7 (9CB7 screen)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kolax, Apr 23, 2010.

1. kolax macrumors G3

The first MacBook Pro I got had the screen off centre (it was left in the bezel - there was no black perimeter on the left but a big one on the right). I did notice it also had a reddish tint to it. That display was a 9CB7.

The replacement has the screen more centred, so happy with that. But there is a red tint to this one too on the top left.

The bottom right is fine, colours look great, but middle and top left there is a red tint. The Safari bar is very warm when I have it up the top left, but when I move to the bottom right, it is perfect grey.

Anyone else got the 9CB7 screen? Red tint to that?

I'm going to have to exchange it again.. and hope I don't end up with the 9CB7 or any other issues.

2. tekmoe macrumors 68000

If I were you I would have kept the first one. I saw the pictures you posted and I really didn't see a problem.

3. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

That was pictures of the second one, one I'm currently using. it is still off centre, but it isn't that big a deal now. Don't really notice it.

The first one though, was right in the top left corner and I swear it was almost like I was missing a row of pixels because of it. The manager in the Apple Store agreed instantly that it was well off and said it'd be sent back.

But regardless, the first one also had the red tint and had the 9CB7 screen.

4. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Damn that sucks man. Sometimes the Apple lottery never works in our favor. I had to take back my 17" i7 to get another one because when I opened it up it had a couple of very small dents on the bottom casing. My new one is nearly perfect. The screen isn't quite as perfect as the last one. I can see some very, very minor light bleed on the left bottom corner. But it's so minor that I can easily live with it. I used to be very crazy about getting the perfect Mac. But I think I have gotten over that now.

5. jshbckr macrumors 6502

It's such a pain in the ass that there is always something to worry about when buying a new Apple laptop.

I love Apple products and when they are perfect, nothing can compare to them. It's a shame that you have to "live with" things like light leak and slightly off center displays when you're paying $2000+ for a laptop.

6. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

I have the same panel, let me know what you used to determine red tint and I'll try to help out.

7. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Put your Safari window in the top leftish of the screen and look at the top of the window (where the URL goes). That should be grey, but instead appears a really warm grey with a tint of red.

Move your Safari window to the bottom right and it is perfectly grey.

8. tekmoe macrumors 68000

I'm going to blame it on the viewing angle mostly. Probably what you are experiencing is slightly dimmer light in the top right corner of your screen which is causing it to appear slightly darker. Would you agree?

9. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

I have a 9cb7, and I don't have this issue at all.

10. nimski62 macrumors regular

11. fr4c macrumors 65816

fr4c

No issues with mine.

12. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

Well there's definitely a red hue on my panel. I'll take it back to the Apple Store and hopefully they'll do an exchange.

The 9CB7 is very bright, and otherwise pretty nice screen. Just a shame that there's a faint red hue over the middle-top left of the screen.

13. ndlundberg macrumors newbie

Red tint and off-centre

I recieved my MBP 15" i5 hi-res antiglare two days ago, sent it back today.
    The screen had a red tint, it wasn't centered (flush left, 2-3mm black space to the right), it also had a terrible vertical viewing angle.

I honestly prefer my old antiglare multibody in front of this one, regarding the high-res screen, 1440 is a better resolution for general usage, even though I prefer the high-res for image processing, ovearall it just kills readability.

If I put down the res to 1440 or 1280 it got streched or unsharp.

I'm so disappointed in this i5 antiglare release that I've waited for since november. I'm gonna end up keeping my old multibody instead.

14. nimski62 macrumors regular

You got a defective one or had buyers remorse. This LCD is the best I've ever had (I've had a lot)

Read this anandtech review on the 2010 hr ag display.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/3669/...o-more-battery-life-tests-display-evaluated/4

15. pastparticiple macrumors regular

I fail to see how a rating site saying it is great means it is. They don't have a large sample. Of COURSE you would have buyer's remorse if you got an inferior product to what you were "sold". Not only does Apple have the nerve to charge so much for it's goods they deliver just as many bad QC'd components as everyone else does. It's ridiculous for what they cost.

16. modular macrumors regular

I'll just chime in and say I got the 15" matte i7 and have had no problems. I just doubled checked my display and it's centered and no type
    of redness like you are seeing. Hopefully your issue is only with a small number of machines.

17. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Guaranteeing 100% perfect quality on mass produced products is impossible, unless you're willing to pay $20,000 per MacBook. It happens, they'll be happy to give you another one, so get over it :rolleyes:

18. Jof macrumors regular

+1

Slight shift in warmness from top left to bottom-right, with blues looking a little more purple top-left. Enough to annoy me? Yes. Can I buff it out by calibrating the color? Um... maybe.

In every other respect, extremely good though.

19. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

What display do you have out of interest?

20. Jof macrumors regular

9CB7
    manufacture date C6438480
    LTN154MT07

I think I'm going to get a color calibrator and cross my fingers; this is driving me mad :/ (Doesn't help that my 5,1 is as cool as hell... quite a difference)

21. dyn macrumors 68030

Where did you find this?