Red vertical line on Display

spf2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
My screen is displaying a red vertical line. It goes from top to bottom. I did a screen capture but it does not show up. Is there a cure for this?

Attachments

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
It's a panel or display cable fault. Probably the panel.
^^^This.

And once it starts, it will only get worse. The line will get wider and you will get more lines. You can replace the LVDS cable, but it's a pain and the chances are that it's NOT the cable. You won't know until after you've done all the work. Replacing the LCD itself is not difficult, just a lot of steps.

spf2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
Tough decision now. Is it worth it to try and fix. It is a 17" Apple Studio monitor. I opened it up and checked the cable connectors and they all look secure. I guess I will use it until it bothers me to h@ll and then move it to the spare parts pile. I did however find a nice space wallpaper that hides it pretty well until I open up a program. arghh..

spf2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
So I booted up my MDD last night and looked at the red line and it really bugs the heck out of me. Anyone have a part number or source for the LCD only ? I checked Ebay and all are whole units but shipping is outrageous. Also, I might have a LCD from a 17" imac G4 that I am not sure works or not. Any chance that that LCD fit/might work in the 17" Acrylic Studio display? I know its a long shot.

spf2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
I have tried pressing the display and even tried pressing and heating the ribbon cable on the LCD itself with no luck. I think the only remedy is to replace the LCD panel.

Calum2

Cancelled
Jan 4, 2017
Might be a longshot but have you tried freezing the panel? Heard it sometimes works.

spf2

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 3, 2015
7exas
I've never heard of freezing the panel before. I guess I'll google it and see. Thanks for the suggestion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.