Red wine disaster

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zephyrwind, Mar 14, 2008.

1. zephyrwind macrumors newbie

So my friend spilled red wine on my computer. It got on the keyboard (although not very much), the right speaker, and inside the fan.

I forced it off with the power button (forcing the ten applications I had open to quit), took out the battery, and cleaned out the wine as best I could. Note that the computer did not turn off of its own volition.

I ran a cold hair dryer on it, and then some compressed air, and then let it sit for awhile.

I put the battery back in, and turned it on. The screen powered up, and it went to the blue screen with the little spinning wheel on the bottom-center, and then it would change screens to this mouse icon in the upper left-hand corner with the same blue background, and then go back to the spinning wheel screen.

I did that once, powered it off, and then tried it again (same result), powered it off, took out the battery, and here I am.

My questions are as follows.

1. What does this all mean?
    2. How much does Apple charge for a spill repair?
    3. Can I get away with pretending like I don't know what happened to it? There wasn't that much wine on the keyboard, at least, as not much spilled and I had a keyboard cover. I am more worried about what got inside the fan.
    4. What should be my next steps?

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Sorry to hear this. Although you have taken a lot of precautions, it seems as if you have been a bit to eager to turn it back on.

1. There's most likely liquid damage on the logic board. Needs a replacement.
    2. A lot. Most likely it will be cheaper (in the long run) to buy a new computer.
    3. No. Water leaves residue due to the minerals in it and it will most likely be spotted even by the average technician. Wine is even worse since it contains sugar.
    4. Leave it be for at least 48 hours. Even though it seems you have dried the water off, some may still be there. Pull it apart and leave it to air dry. You might just get lucky.
    You should have done this in the first place, making yourself 100% sure that no water or liquid was there. Turning it on before this is begging to short circuit the computer.
    If it still won't work, check your insurance if it covers it. If not, your friend's insurance should. If not, your friend should be the one to pay for the repair since he spilled the wine, not you. Tough but fair.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I can only sum it up to one answer

1) Your friend will pay :mad:

4. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

1. steak and red wine = good combination!
    2. MBP and red wine = Test of true friendship

5. pazreal macrumors regular

I would suggest air drying for a few days at the very least. I have resurrected iPods and phones from water damage in such a way. Not a sure fire way to success but it has worked.

6. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

Seems like every other day there is a new thread on this board over someone who spilled something on their MBP.

LEAVE THE DRINKS AWAY, PEOPLE!

7. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Here's the plan:

1. remove drive from mbp.

2. ebay mbp.

3. purchase refurb mbp.

4. replace drive.

For the price of a board replacement, you could sell your current MBP, add the board money, and purchase a new (refurbished) one from Apple. That's what I'd do.

8. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

A friend just took an entire glass of red wine to my ibook. I know how you feel. As my friend can't pay me back all the way for a few months, hopefully yours can

9. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

this is why i don't buy from ebay! at all!
    i'm assuming that with the post, you'll include the reason why you're selling, inform the potential buyer that there was an accidental spill on it!

10. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Sure. There are hundreds of auctions per month explicitly advertising MB/Ps with bad logic boards. People who have the time, inclination, and resources to fix them will buy them. I don't know where people get this idea that you can only sell working machines on eBay.

11. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

you should have let it sit and dry for several days instead of a little while before powering up.

12. IainThornton macrumors newbie

Mac Pro Quad 2.8ghz 8 Core/16gb RAM/150gb 10K Raptor/3TB/23"ACD
    2.4ghz SR mbp/4gb RAM/Hitachi 7k200
    52" Sony Bravia Xbr4/B&W 805Sx2/HTM4
    Iphone 8gb

erm don't want to sound patronising BUT I think that you mean

Mac Pro Quad 2.8GHz 8 Core/16GB RAM/150GB 10K Raptor/3TB/23"ACD
    2.4GHz SR mbp/4GH RAM/Hitachi 7k200
    52" Sony Bravia Xbr4/B&W 805Sx2/HTM4
    Iphone 8GB

the units that you used mean completely different things

13. IainThornton macrumors newbie

Right
    First thing there's no point pretending to them that it's a manufacturing defect...it will be obvious that it's fluid damage

leave it for a few days although I think the damage will have been done
    THEN if it's not fine (which it's unlikely to be) clean it out with isopropyl alcohol. This should remove water traces and so on
    THEN if you feel brave you could try telling Apple it's their fault
    OR you could tell them what happened and get them to fix it
    REMEMBER that if you clean it with isopropyl alcohol you will have to take it apart and I would think that this invalidates the warranty
    remember that in the long run more problems may rise from this
    and remember that as soon as they know about this your warranty will most likely be gone

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

WTF does this have to do with the OP??:confused:

15. IainThornton macrumors newbie

It doesn't-see my other post

16. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Iain - thanks for that always valuable reminder that although most people type Gb and know what it means, the proper way to type it is GB.

Taking a machine that you have damaged, and that you know you have damaged, in for warranty claim on a manufacturer's defect, (whether or not you have actively attempted to conceal your damage), is fraudulent, flat out.

Anyway, the topic "I spilled **** on my Mac" comes up so often, there is now a Guide on it , under the Guides tab at the top of this window, under the Hardware category

17. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

While true and totally offtopic, it might be a good idea to spell check your own corrections as to not confuse the corrected: there is no such thing as 4 GH RAM ;)

18. IainThornton macrumors newbie

You're right, it sort of took the impact out of my statement. That was thoroughly imbecilic of me. Thank you for the correction :D

19. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

Dude,

Seriously don't put it on ebay unless you offer full disclosure. thats kind of a di*k move! this just give you a reason to buy the latest and greatest. or get a temp till june....

good luck in anything you do.

My personal advice as an Avionics Technician is this. remove keyboard and get some awesome contact cleaner that does not leave any residue, remove HD, SD, and spray the logic board down. look for obvious damage, and take care of it. removing the HD, SD, and logic board are not too difficult but great care needs to be taken.when the logic board is dry 24-48hrs after cleaning with contact cleaner then reinstall subcomponents and give it another shot.
    cheers

20. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

it just goes to show that drinking and "Mac-ing" should never be done at the same time. :p

but seriously though, sorry for your luck. this is just one more reason why I never drink anything no where near my MBP. I figure if its bad and if it can happen then it probably will.

21. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

I believe that if you pour white wine onto things which you've spilled red wine on, it fixes them.

22. f1 macrumors 6502

Yep, tried it with my macbook, it works.

23. heatmiser macrumors 68020

shh, don't ruin the secret!

24. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Brings back memories of that song red red wine :)

25. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Nah it just makes them Blush....