Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reddit for iOS and iPadOS now no longer supports iOS 12 and older, meaning that customers running a version of Apple's mobile operating system released more than two years ago will not be able to receive updates to the app.

General-Apps-Reddit-Feature.jpg

Reddit announced the new change in its latest App Store update, saying that "Moving forward, we will only support iOS 13.0 and above." In simpler terms, users will now need an iPhone 6s or later to install the Reddit App following this week's App Store update. Luckily, the majority of active iPhones and iPad devices are running iOS 14, meaning the lack of support for older iOS firmware will not impact a significant amount of users.

In its App Store update, Reddit also introduced a new "double tap on images to zoom in" feature that gives users more ability to zoom into photos, much like the stock Photos app on iOS and iPadOS. For users looking for an alternative to the stock Reddit app, Apollo for Reddit remains a popular choice amongst users. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Reddit App Ends Support for iOS 12, Now Requires iPhone 6S or Later

Last edited:

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
If you use a device that can't run the latest version of iOS, you also know you won't be able to use the latest version of every single app. However, the iPhone 5s and 6 are still widely used in many countries. If I were an app developer I would say it is still too early to drop support for iOS 12.

egrimo

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2020
Istanbul
They have N-1 which most popular apps can't be so stable of. Hope this also brings SwifUI design since now they can use SwiftUI 1.0 as minimum requirement

Reactions: Secondempire

futbalguy

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2007
If you use a device that can't run the latest version of iOS, you also know you won't be able to use the latest version of every single app. However, the iPhone 5s and 6 are still widely used in many countries. If I were an app developer I would say it is still too early to drop support for iOS 12.
As a developer, it’s difficult to support an old OS. iOS 12 doesn’t support frameworks like SwiftUI, Combine and more. There may be a business case for supporting those users but the devs want the better tools to work faster.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Not too surprising. These devices are getting pretty old. I know some people want to stick it out. But the world is moving on. I expect there's features the app developers want to use which iOS 12 doesn't support.

Now this is getting me curious. What's the oldest iOS version that is still getting regular app updates from any developers. Like are there any apps still being updated for iPhone OS 2?

How about the oldest which still has an updated third party web browser?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
will this daily "unsupport" news make the snobby people who hate their lives that run reddit snobbier and more hateful?

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I agree with you, I think at this point iOS 12 should be the minimum, especially with all the security updates it is receiving for older devices. However, I think I understand why is happening this. With iOS 12 and 13 (which were “opening” iOS in many ways) came a lot of new APIs, frameworks and dev tools that Apple provided to developers, and I can understand the developers wanting to take full advantage of them. I hope this is an exception rather than a rule going forward, and the usual support is at least of 2 versions older.

We’ll see if Christian supports those users with Apollo.

Reactions: zapmymac

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
Well goodbye iPhone 4,5 and 6...we will be seeing more and more of these devices becoming unsupported soon. iPhone 13 here we come. Lol

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Reddit is lame anyway. I got tired of teenagers telling me how (they think) the world works and spreading their misinformed opinions as fact in every post. The only good subs I could see myself going back to are DIY and Outdoors. The rest is a waste of server space.

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Chrome, Firefox and Safari will probably still work when going to Reddit. If Apple pushed this obsolescence then I might be concerned, but if whoever owns Reddit is behind it then any negative consequences are on their shoulder. I go on Reddit but I’ve never bothered with the app. If MacRumors or any technology news source has an app I’m not particularly interested in that either.

• Haha
Reactions: azmscle

Burebista

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2019
Meaning users running iOS 12 will be blocked from running an older version?
I think the title is misleading. Normally when the support is dropped you can still run an app just fine. What it really means is 1) you will no longer receive said app updates unless you update to a newer iOS and 2) you won't be able to download it from App store unless you had it previously installed (in that case you can download an older version)
Reddit for iOS and iPadOS now no longer supports iOS 12 and older, meaning that customers running a version of Apple's mobile operating system released more than two years ago will not be able to use the app.
So this bit is factually incorrect

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.