Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Reddit today updated its official iOS app to version 2.0, fixing a few bugs for Reddit Live as well as introducing full support for the iPad. The first-party app, which launched in April of this year, has been available only for the iPhone and iPod touch until today.

reddit-ipad.jpg

On the iPad, Reddit keeps essentially all of the same features and tabs that users can expect: timeline, subscriptions, inbox, and profile. Each area of the app allows users to browse their subreddits, search for new ones, comment on posts, reply to messages, and more.

Many users have stuck to popular third-party Reddit apps like Narwhal, iAlien, Baconreader, Eggplant, Antenna, and Alien Blue in place of Reddit's official app. Alien Blue, which was acquired by Reddit in 2014, has since been deleted from the App Store so as to not conflict with the company's new first-party app.

Reddit: The Official App can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Reddit iOS Update Brings Support for iPad

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
That's cute but the official Reddit app has always been way too limited.

Antenna is much faster and has way more features. A disgusting design, but performance and features make up for it. Highly recommend it.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
There is also the quickly updated Readder app that has replaced Antenna for me for the moment.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
That's cute but the official Reddit app has always been way too limited.

Antenna is much faster and has way more features. A disgusting design, but performance and features make up for it. Highly recommend it.

Antenna is the best reddit client for me. I like using it in SplitView.

I do use the Reddit app on the iPhone, but just downloaded on the iPad... it's terrible with the SplitView, definitely needs work.
[doublepost=1479309733][/doublepost]
At last

Enjoy using it so far. Easier than the web browser.

At this point its just a blown up iPhone app. I really do wish that devs put more thought into the iPad, the argument that iPad haters tend to bring up is that it's just a blown up iPhone... this helps that argument.

With all the space the iPad provide... they can do something to differentiate it from the iPhone.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Finally! I feel like I can say that without being ridiculous. I waste way too much time on Reddit (as well as here, lol). I just wish it would stop freaking asking me to allow notifications constantly! Like I said, I already spend too much time in that app—I don't need more reasons to open it up. It's just annoying now.

Reactions: PowerBook-G5

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Finally! I feel like I can say that without being ridiculous. I waste way too much time on Reddit (as well as here, lol). I just wish it would stop freaking asking me to allow notifications constantly! Like I said, I already spend too much time in that app—I don't need more reasons to open it up. It's just annoying now.
What notifications do you get?

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
I still browse via the website on my 5s. I find the app to be counterintuitive, and I actually prefer Alien Blue to it.

That's why I got 4 years of free gold.

EBone12355

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2016
San Diego CA
Still needs a "casual" subcategory for subs that you don't want everyone seeing you browsing when you're using the app in public *wink wink nod nod

Until then, Not giving up Alien Blue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.