Redditor finds feature in 1983 software invalidating Apple patent suit against HTC

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by b24pgg, Dec 8, 2011.

1. b24pgg, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

b24pgg macrumors 65816

Here is an article about the lawsuit and here is the reddit thread about how the suit is frivolous:

He goes into much further detail, but that's the jist. Ruling was supposed to happen Tuesday but has been delayed until 12/14

tl;dr: Apple obtains patent for a system in 1989 that had been used at least 6 years earlier by another company, then attempts to sue HTC for infringement of that invalid patent

2. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Was the previous software ever patented? Also this seems like a very long time ago and I am wondering if the software wasn't patented at the time and then Apple came along and patented it, if the patent office was up to snuff on all the patents that would be coming along for software.

On a side note, good god, could I say patent anymore in this sentence?

3. b24pgg thread starter macrumors 65816

Good question...I browsed through some of the reddit responses and found this:

4. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

5. b24pgg, Dec 8, 2011

b24pgg thread starter macrumors 65816

What part? Source? Or are you trolling

EDIT: trolling, apparently.

6. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Doesn't matter. Prior art is prior art.

7. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You've never been able to patent something already in use. They do sneak by, but those are typically ones that end up invalidated. Apple has been way too generic on some of them. I don't think everyone realizes how many commoditized parts are in smart phones. There are a ton of components shared amongst competitors.

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Thank you... I think a lot of companies,, not just Apple have been tooooo generic on a lot of their patents.

9. b24pgg thread starter macrumors 65816

I think it's probably the opposite...which is why so many of these smartphone manufacturer vs. smartphone manufacturer lawsuits seem so silly to the average consumer

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

11. b24pgg, Dec 8, 2011

b24pgg thread starter macrumors 65816

12. Rodimus Prime, Dec 8, 2011

Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It not too bad until said companies start suing and blocking imports over said crapents.
    That or demanding money for them with the threat of law suits.

edit:
    Things like say saying company A will licences this block of 1k patents for X amount to company B and yes their are going to be crapents in that block but what company B is after is say 10 patents in that block and it is getting the rest for "free" as a bonus and get some coverage from them. The crapents in that group are not bet since they are part of a block and not increasing the value of said block. It a way company work is they say just give me that huge block so I do not have to worry about anything.

13. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You might be right. I come across some of these posts and things with so much bias at times. Even with Samsung phones the newer ones seem to have taken off from the F700 with the physical keyboard removed (announced February 2007, they did not copy an iphone in a month's time:rolleyes:). The patent battles are beyond ridiculous. It's boiled down to attempting to get competing products pulled in any way possible.