Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Users of Reddit's official iOS app can now share text, link and image-based posts to Snapchat thanks to a new Share Sheet integration in iOS 13 (via TechCrunch). This is the first time Reddit has partnered with another app to allow for content sharing, and the company said it will expand the feature to other social media apps in the future.

reddit-snapchat-update.jpg

Any Reddit user who has Snapchat on their iPhone can tap the "Share" icon on a post in the Reddit app to find the new Snapchat "Share to camera" option. From there, users can choose to send the post to friends or post to their story, and it will appear in Snapchat as a sticker with the Reddit logo, an image, and the title of the link.
"Snapchat is the first platform partner with whom we're testing a content sharing integration, and we're excited to see how the feature will shape the sharing habits and experiences among our users," said Vaibhav Sahgal, Reddit's Head of Growth Product, in a statement. "We hope the integration empowers redditors to share Reddit content more frequently, while simultaneously exposing new users to the unique content only found on Reddit."
Reddit is hoping the new integration will lead to more engagement with younger users on its platform. The company is looking to balance out its age demographics, which skew toward older users aged 30 to 49, according to a study from Pew Research Center.

The new feature is only available for Reddit's "Safe for Work" subreddits, as any other subreddit violates Snapchat's terms of use. For now, the update is also only on iOS, but Android devices will get it sometime soon.

Article Link: Reddit's New iOS Share Sheet Update Lets You Post Reddit Topics to Snapchat, More Platforms Coming Soon

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
Is there actually anyone who uses the official Reddit app when various 3rd party apps on iOS and Android are 10x better?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Is there actually anyone who uses the official Reddit app when various 3rd party apps on iOS and Android are 10x better?
The official Reddit app is the only one where if I click on the link in Safari it directly opens in the app. With Apollo and third party apps it always opens in Google AMP view. I have to click on the main link there and then use the share sheet to manually open in Apollo. This makes all those apps tedious. Only the official Reddit app opens links directly in the app.

Reactions: headlessmike

carsuki

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2019
Penistone, England
The official Reddit app is the only one where if I click on the link in Safari it directly opens in the app. With Apollo and third party apps it always opens in Google AMP view. I have to click on the main link there and then use the share sheet to manually open in Apollo. This makes all those apps tedious. Only the official Reddit app opens links directly in the app.

instead of going through all this when you click the link, just copy it and open apollo. it checks clipboard for reddit links and offers to take you right to the post

Beyo

macrumors member
May 29, 2017
Poznań
Dumb platform with inconsistence policy across subreddit to amount even tolerating communities that selling stolen accounts.:(

unfunfionn

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2015
Berlin, Germany
The Reddit app has potential but it's nowhere close to realising it. And it has too many unethical usability decisions in it, stuff that either tries to trick the user into doing something unexpected or simply doesn't respect the permissions the user has expressly declined and keeps asking again. It's a great service currently being managed by a team with no plan.

sea stobble

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2008
The company is looking to balance out its age demographics, which skew toward older users aged 30 to 49

Could’ve fooled me - I’m pretty certain most users are late teens to mid-twenty’s in college.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
We have share to Snapchat but reddit hasn’t fixed the share post to a note which was working in iOS 12 and has been broken since iOS 13

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.