Redesign Critique

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by subwarm, Jun 16, 2009.

1. subwarm macrumors member

subwarm

Hi all,

Just finished up a lengthy redesign of my website/blog and wanted to get some feedback on the overall design. I tried to keep the design fluid and somewhat simplistic while sticking to web standards.

There are still some functional kinks I'm ironing out, like xmlhttp requests not working in Safari, but it shouldn't be affecting design (at least I hope not).

Have a look: http://www.geeklikeme.net

2. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Looks nice. I liked the comic you had on there:D

3. Cabbit macrumors 68020

Cabbit

4. adamfishercox macrumors 6502

To me when the header is that tiny the site looks bottom heavy. But if that doesn't bother you than I have no real criticisms. A little dark perhaps.

5. eskalation.dk macrumors member

Looks good, but a couple of things struck my eye:

-As above said, the bottom is too big, black and wide, it draws too much attention to itself, and the fact that it is black makes it blend with the sidebar in a weird way.

-The left side of the site looks a little ragged, the indentation jumps a little too much in and out, try aligning things a little.

-The right side has the same problem, the search field, the "Search site" text and the "…pixelated coffee" needs to align with the right edge of the black box below, or the other way around(which would probably be better).

-I don't know if im correct, but does the right side of the top have a larger padding than the left side?

-The search field looks a little tacked on, try making it darker and give it a white gradient in the top so that it blend into the style of the site a little better (flow it with the gradient that goes from one side of the site to the other). Also, the "Search Site" text looks like a button, but it isn't, i thought i could get to some sort of advanced search because of the drop-down arrow. Why not put the search input field where the "Search Site" text is now?

-The coffee that flows down to the sidebar is a cool effect, but its looks a little too blurred, but thats probably a design-taste thing. Im just thinking that you have no other graphic items that has the same feel.

-The gradient border on the images isn't me, but then again - thats just my taste hehe.

-When the main paragraph of a topic in the main part of the site starts with a quote, the paragraph text format look wrong (it doesn't change enough, it doesn't look like regular body text), either make it more like the body of the other topics, or change it so that is differs more from the other topic.

-Isn't it spelled "Advertisement"?

Besides that, cool site dude, its just minor things hehe :) Good job!

6. subwarm thread starter macrumors member

subwarm

Thanks for great feedback everyone!

The blending of the sidebar to the footer is intentional; was trying to connect the design together and give the content a frame. I discovered that this really doesn't work when there's not enough content on the sidebar. D'oh.

The search site was in fact as you said, tacked on. You caught me there. :) After reading what you said about how it should be right justified I see what you mean about the overall indentation. Making a fluid percentage based design in CSS was a little bit tricky and was causing some headaches. I see what you mean now though - I'll see if I can make some corrections.

In terms of quotes versus regular body text I wanted to have a clear indication that the text was quoted from within the actual article. When it was in the same font I thought someone might confuse it for something I wrote (which often times may be sarcastic and/or unrelated).

You also caught me on that typo, must... use... spellcheck.

7. jakeOSX macrumors regular

speelcheck is for the week!!

8. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

What is speelcheck?