Redesign versus under the hood

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mpossoff, Oct 5, 2011.

1. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Under the hood the 4S is a beast of a phone with the A5 and if you are on AT&T you'll get greater data speeds.

What we got was a redesign per se under the hood that isn't as tangible as a redeign.

I'm guessing most would have rather had a larger screen with same under the hood?

2. ckurt25 macrumors 6502a

ckurt25

I'll take the current iP4s vs basically a iP4 with a 4" or bigger screen.

I feel somewhat let down but it is an improved phone and I will be getting one. I just would think after 16 months they could have done more. Had the iP4s come out 4-6 months ago I would have given it an 8 out of 10 and today I'm giving it a 6. Maybe when I get my hands on it I'll feel differently. Biggest let down for me was battery. If Apple plans on putting LTE in the 5 then they're really going to have to do something about the battery. Maybe then we'll have a bigger screen and have room for something bigger.

3. Surrylic macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

This is exactly how I feel. SO wanted a larger screen, but I looove the iP4 design, sexiest phone ever in life, and I'll live. With a 4S, come upgrade in November. The interior upgrades are too much to pass up.

4. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

That's the point it's a huge upgrade under the hood which isn't tangible per se.

I'm think Apple knows what they are doing because larger screen= less battery life.

5. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

6. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

A new body would have been nice, but the 4S has great specs. Only reason some aren't happy is because the body is the same. If 4S was the same only in a different body people would love it.

I'm fine with the same body as long as the OS is great.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Don't knock the large screen, I think apple will possibly release a large iPhone in the next iteration.

8. mpossoff thread starter macrumors 68020

Not knocking but there has to be a good reason why there isn't a larger screen.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's conjecture, we really don't know why apple did not redesign the exterior of the iPhone. There may not be a good reason other then their roadmap has it coming in the future, or as a strategic decision in that they don't think its needed.

Just look at the smaller iPad comments and what Steve Jobs said about the possibility of a 7" iPad. Many people were (are?) clamoring for something smaller yet apple has been resistant to produce one. My point is that we cannot read too much into the lack of a large screen since we don't have the inside information.