Redesigned airport express?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by wesk702, Mar 22, 2012.

1. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Bout time for a redesigned airport express no?
    I'm sure they could shrink it down a bit.

2. John T macrumors 68020

John T

No, not really.
    If it was possible (have you looked inside one?), what would be the purpose of doing that?

Apart from technical advances, the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" in my opinion, still rings true.

3. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I don't have a problem with it. It's simple and small enough to carry around without is being a nuisance.

4. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

My guess is that we won't see a new Airport Express until Apple switches to Wifi AC as their standard.

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Agree, I use mine as a bridge from my TC at home, and as you say, fits nicely into any small bag when on the go....I can't see a major upgrade until Apple adopt the new standard either...no point in purely cosmetic changes either.

6. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

One thing they could update on the AExpress is the WAN/LAN port. They could make it a Gigabit Ethernet.

I'm not sure if it would cost much to do so and it would greatly benefit me (yes, I'm selfish).

I want to extend my network (AEBS in the basement) with another device on the 2nd floor. I don't want to extend it via wireless, so I'd be running cat6 from the basement to the 2nd floor. By having gigabit between the routers, I'd be able to do file transfers between computers at full speed.

I'd rather have an AExp upstairs over an AEBS for Airplay Speakers from iOS devices. That would be sweet.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I do agree with this statement. That would be one upgrade I wish they did do. My current house is wired with ethernet, but I am moving to a new house that is not. I need to extend my network from one office to another (but won't be able to do it with ethernet) so to maximize the speed at both ends I want to use gigabit wired connections for all the devices in both offices, which will require me to go with two AEBS's rather than AEX's (so that the wireless connection is the bottleneck and not the ethernet ports).

Oh well, as I stated earlier, I don't see them upgrading the AEX until they switch to AC from N. At this point, it's been chugging along for 4 years why upgrade it now when they will probably upgrade it again in 6-12 months.

8. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

That's the thing. It hasn't been updated in over 4 years. It's still on Draft-N, fer cryin' out loud.

Honestly, they should have updated it two years ago with gigabit ethernet and final-N. That's the only reason I haven't bought one yet. I refuse to spend $180 on another AEBS and I won't buy the AExp until it gets gigabit.

Yeah, I know ... first world problems.

9. gramirez2012 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I'm disappointed that the Express doesn't have Gigabit Ethernet by now. It also doesn't have dual-band N (have to double check that).

10. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

It has dual-band, but not simultaneous dual-band. I want that in the update as well. Thanks for the reminder.