Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Considering there hasn't been a case redesign since 2012, it is fairly likely; however, since the iMac Pro just came out with the old case people feel that will be the case next year also since its such a new product.

I personally feel it will be redesigned next year since its way overdue. Also, the "Foxconn Insider" predicted as much (and so far all other information from him as been accurate but who knows).

Either way the iMac is ripe for a redesign in terms of time though. Sadly, like most of the Mac lineup those kinds of changes aren't as important to Apple as they used to be. 2006-2007-2009-2012 were also major changes.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
The problem is you just can’t get much thinner. The CPUs aren’t getting cooler, quite the opposite. Also people want better GPUs. Again, another esthetic redesign would be a big mistake for the iMac. It’s already too thin as it is, which is creating unnecessary noise and throttling. Only redesign necessary is internal improvements, like better cooling.

Reactions: mofly_9

QurazyQuisp

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2006
Jersey City, NJ
The problem is you just can’t get much thinner. The CPUs aren’t getting cooler, quite the opposite. Also people want better GPUs. Again, another esthetic redesign would be a big mistake for the iMac. It’s already too thin as it is, which is creating unnecessary noise and throttling. Only redesign necessary is internal improvements, like better cooling.

I'm not sure if thinness is actually that much of an issue with the current design with regards to thermal issues. I'd argue the biggest issue is that there is currently only one fan for both the CPU and video card. Radeons are not known for being power efficient and the Intel processors are getting a little worse too. Updating the cooling system is probably a necessary thing regardless of design esp if its going to move to Intel's 8th generation processors.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
The problem is you just can’t get much thinner. The CPUs aren’t getting cooler, quite the opposite. ...
You can get much thinner... when they go completely SSD and have finless architecture.

However, I think that will be the next major redesign, and it will probably come along with the 10nm chips. I'd expect 2019-onward will have a redesign which is thinner and less bezel.

Due to the upcoming leap to 10nm in 2019 (we hope) and 2018 bringing more Intel 14nm chips with more cores, the design probably won't change at all. Might see different port configurations on back, but not much else.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
I'm not sure if thinness is actually that much of an issue with the current design with regards to thermal issues. I'd argue the biggest issue is that there is currently only one fan for both the CPU and video card. Radeons are not known for being power efficient and the Intel processors are getting a little worse too. Updating the cooling system is probably a necessary thing regardless of design esp if its going to move to Intel's 8th generation processors.
And what's the point of making the casing *even* thinner. It is a stationary computer after all, not
You can get much thinner... when they go completely SSD and have finless architecture.

However, I think that will be the next major redesign, and it will probably come along with the 10nm chips. I'd expect 2019-onward will have a redesign which is thinner and less bezel.

Due to the upcoming leap to 10nm in 2019 (we hope) and 2018 bringing more Intel 14nm chips with more cores, the design probably won't change at all. Might see different port configurations on back, but not much else.
Of course you can always get a thinner iMac, but it would undermine performance and make it a weaker product. It’s not just about the CPU anyway (the next generation will be hotter not cooler), but also the ability to use a powerful GPU.

potatis

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2006
Smaller bezel, especially on the 21.5", less chin and 16:10 aspect ratio. All that's needed.

Reactions: iMi

yellowscreen

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2015
two possible clues:

1. New 6-core Intel cpus - redesigned cooling?

2. LG (iMac lcd supplier, if im not mistaken) just announced (CES) their new 'Nano IPS' dsiplays supporting HDR 600 standard and 98% P3.

Those could be a good basis for a 'redesign', at least from the marketing point of view. In the PC world, apple really does depend on Intel and the likes for basing their 'redesign cadence' strategy.

As far as the looks go, its highly unlikely theyre going to go with the radically new looks so soon after iMac pro. But i really do hope for a drastic internal redesign, better screen, better facetime camera, more mics and a couple of those '50% faster' headlines.

Moonjumper

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2009
Lincoln, UK
two possible clues:

1. New 6-core Intel cpus - redesigned cooling?

2. LG (iMac lcd supplier, if im not mistaken) just announced (CES) their new 'Nano IPS' dsiplays supporting HDR 600 standard and 98% P3.

Those could be a good basis for a 'redesign', at least from the marketing point of view. In the PC world, apple really does depend on Intel and the likes for basing their 'redesign cadence' strategy.

As far as the looks go, its highly unlikely theyre going to go with the radically new looks so soon after iMac pro. But i really do hope for a drastic internal redesign, better screen, better facetime camera, more mics and a couple of those '50% faster' headlines.

The iMac already has 500 nits and 99% P3, so it isn't far off HDR 600 already, but the extra 100 would be a nice option if it was used to the full (I have mine at less than half brightness already, so more nits isn't of much use as it stands), such as being able to display 4K HDR movies from iTunes.

Having just got an iMac, I wish it had height adjustment for better ergonomics. The screen is currently too high for me. I must do the mock-up I have been intending to do of how I see an iMac G4 form factor looking now.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
AMD confirmed this week that they are going to release mobile versions of the Vega GPU in the second quarter. We could get an iMac update in May/Juni, with the latest 6 core CPUs from Intel, a mobile Vega GPU, and the new Nano IPS display from LG (LG's Nano IPS monitors are slated for May). That would certainly be a nice upgrade.

However, the iMac has never gone past 4 years without a major redesign or upgrade. The last upgrade was in October 2014 with the retina display, although the shape stayed the same from 2012. We could see an SSD-only design, with removal of the memory backdoor and improved cooling, making a smaller size possible (reduced bezels and chin). That will probably be a longer wait, possibly late 2018. Apple takes their time with new designs nowadays, and don't mind selling Macs with outdated hardware. IMO the present shape is more than good enough, if they upgrade the fan system (like iMac Pro). We need better thermals, not an even smaller desktop computer. Hopefully the wait won't be too long, my late 2012 iMac is getting long in the tooth.

Last edited:
Reactions: yellowscreen

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
AMD confirmed this week that they are going to release mobile versions of the Vega GPU in the second quarter.
While the 2017 iMacs didn't have top tier GPUs, I don't know if a "mobile" one would be good enough for a follow up. Maybe for the 21" 4k, but definitely not to drive 5K. It would be seen as going backwards.

gian8989

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2015
While the 2017 iMacs didn't have top tier GPUs, I don't know if a "mobile" one would be good enough for a follow up. Maybe for the 21" 4k, but definitely not to drive 5K. It would be seen as going backwards.
Yeah. I don't understand why they should put mobile GPU again. The GPU was the best upgrade of the new iMac.

Reactions: sputnikBA

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
I agree. The next iMac generation needs better GPUs, and an iMac Pro-type cooling system. I’m just guessing of course, but it’s interesting looking at the time table for the new hardware parts coming out this year. The present iMac is getting closer to the end of its cycle, but since the last update took almost 2 years, you never know...

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
I agree. The next iMac generation needs better GPUs, and an iMac Pro-type cooling system. I’m just guessing of course, but it’s interesting looking at the time table for the new hardware parts coming out this year. The present iMac is getting closer to the end of its cycle, but since the last update took almost 2 years, you never know...

Coffee lake hexa-cores are pretty likely at this point, so I do think you are on the right track with timing being dependent on new AMD GPUs though

Black Tiger

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
How probable is that?
Highly probable, likely with Face ID implementation and trim bezels ala iPhone X. Maybe an oled display? The original aluminum iMacs came out after the original iPhone in 2007 and Jobs specifically referenced the shared inspiration. The X is the most significant redesign since the original iPhone, and I suspect something similar for the iMac, which has not seen a significant redesign since 2012, which, itself, was more of an evolution from the 2009 design. And let’s be honest, the iMac has not seen a huge redesign really since the move from the g4 to g5 iMac. I doubt we will see anything too radical at this point, but you never know.

sputnikBA

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Too soon for FaceID. They still have to raise the numbers high enough to supply new models of iPhones and iPads. Those make the company more money so they are priority. Look how long it took for TouchID to come to Macs. FaceID will probably have to wait another year.

OLED is still too expensive for larger displays. If it can raise the price of 5” iPhone to $1000, can you imagine what a 27” 5k OLED display would cost...

rafark

macrumors 68000
Sep 1, 2017
I hope so. The current Imac is essentially the same design generation as the 2007 iMac! 11 years! I've loved from head to toe this design but we want something refreshing. We've had it long enough, it was gorgeous but let's move on.
[doublepost=1515977789][/doublepost]
Too soon for FaceID. They still have to raise the numbers high enough to supply new models of iPhones and iPads. Those make the company more money so they are priority. Look how long it took for TouchID to come to Macs. FaceID will probably have to wait another year.

OLED is still too expensive for larger displays. If it can raise the price of 5” iPhone to $1000, can you imagine what a 27” 5k OLED display would cost...

Last year you could get a 55" oled tv for just $700 (twice the size of a 27"). It was with discount, and sure I'm using it as an example because Apple would buy the screens in mass, with manufacturer prices. so it's very much posible for them to include an oled screen, specially because their computers are expensive and high end.

It should be a priority since most professionals who buy imacs are designers/media producers where color accuracy is crucial.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Considering there hasn't been a case redesign since 2012, it is fairly likely
True but...
however, since the iMac Pro just came out with the old case people feel that will be the case next year also since its such a new product.
I don't think Apple will release a high end (and very expensive) iMac Pro using a design that will be replaced. That would be imo, a very poor marketing decision on their part.

Reactions: c0ppo and FredT2

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
  • Some blog speculates a Glass Back on this year major 'redesign'...
  • Some sources also speculates a FULL AMD iMac replacing Intel CPUs by 6-8 core Ryzen plus updated GPUs or maybe even an AMD APU instead CPU+discrete GPU,
  • Its know AMD has APU in the iMac 21 range, and is testing an 8 core APU with Vega graphics, good for an iMac 5K,
  • Ryzen cpu are immune to Meltdown (but not to Spectre as almost every CPU)..
  • From Jan 1, Intel released Thunderbolt 3 rights, so anyone can make their own TB3 headers/solutions.
  • Apple Capital finnaced Zen/Polaris/Vega developments, even Jim Keller moved back from Apple to AMD at the same time.

LogicalVue

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007
USA (Maine)
What they will do, who knows? But I think it is overdue for a redesign. I'd like these changes:
  • Smaller bezels and chin
  • Available in your choice of silver or space gray like the MacBook Pro
  • SSD-only; get rid of Fusion drive
  • Improved cooling so i7 doesn't spin fans like crazy at load
  • Add a 6-core i7 option
  • Better GPU options
  • Latest CPU updates, obvs

Reactions: c0ppo

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
How probable is that?

I'm guessing "no". Since Apple just released the iMac Pro with the same external look/design as the current iMac line, it's doubtful that they make a change to the look of the standard (non-pro) iMac. If they were going to redesign the iMac line, IMO, they would have introduced the new design with the iMac Pro - not wait until the iMac Pro has been released and then upgrade the design of the non-pro model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.