Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Proud Liberal

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2005
boncellis said:
I think you're right, but they could come out with something new with the Nano taking the low end spot of the Shuffle. I don't pretend to know what it would be, but I think the Nano was the last "new" thing that Apple came out with. They've been so busy updating their line, with good reason, but when will Apple blow us away with something completely new?

I just came across this article while I was doing some stock research...
http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/funds/realmoneyradiowrap/10281432_2.html

It indicates, in the paragraphs discussing AAPL, that there are 4 new iPods forthcoming - whatever that means! :D

ccrandall77

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Franklin, WI
kneeslasher said:
The only thing putting me off buying any iPod, but most especially the Nano is the lack of one feature: transcode or down sample on the fly when synchronising iTunes to the iPod.

For those of us keeping our music in lossless on iTunes, the iPod/iTunes integration becomes non-existant since no iPod can carry that amount of music and even if it could, it would kill the battery. The only solution is to transcode when putting stuff on the iPod, which right now has to be done manually, killing the joy of the iTunes/iPod experience. The Shuffle actually has this ability! God knows why the rest of the iPod line (especially the Nano) don't have the feature!

You could probably accomplish this with a home-grown AppleScript. However, I think it would be REALLY slow.

My lib is just under 20GB and I have a 4GB Nano. Of those 20GB, I probably only really like maybe 3.5GB of the music. So, I created a handful of playlists, and then copied those songs to another directory and reencoded them from lossless to AAC-128kbps. Then I just flipped the link to my iTunes directory and did a sync. Ya, it's a pain, but once it's set up it's not too bad. It could probably be automated as well and I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already come up with SW to do this.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
kozmic stu said:
I know it's been done to death and I'm not entirely sure I even like the idea, but doesn't "significant internal redesign" spark the image of putting a mobile phone inside a nano? I know I'd prefer to have a phone that was a phone (Steve Jobs paraphrase: 'Each element of the design should be true to itself') But there is always the possibility that this is the reasoning behind the move away from PortalPlayer AND the (rumoured) redesign of the nano?

Just a thought

Stu
That would leave us with an iPod and an iPhone. No nano, no shuffle. I like that idea, I always wondered why there was the iPod, iPod shuffle, iPod nano, iPod photo, iPod with video, iPod mini, etc. Now there can be an iPod. It would be redesigned at a 10gig, 30 gig, and 80gig for $200, $300, and $400. They would function the same, have about the same bettery life, but the $10 gig would use flash memory and looks smaller. Maybe keep the iPod nano to replace the shuffle, with a slight redesign so it's better for the gym (ie has rubber grips on it).

I can't wait for an iPhone though. maybe it can have the specs of the current nanos....

whee900

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2006
Probably 8-10 gig flash memory, and video playback. Wonder how they'll fit that in the form factor, though. The case can't become bigger, so they're confined. The rumors point to an internal redesign; i.e. no bigger case.

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
whee900 said:
Probably 8-10 gig flash memory, and video playback. Wonder how they'll fit that in the form factor, though. The case can't become bigger, so they're confined. The rumors point to an internal redesign; i.e. no bigger case.

lets hope you're right. a bigger case without video would pretty much piss me off (not that i'd get it). a video on a slightly bigger case.. hmmmmmm.. nah.

dammit when them video ipods going to start poppin up!?

dguisinger

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
Mitch1984 said:
I think an iPod would look a bit less iconic with a number pad on a phone, which is why I believe an iPhone would utilize Apples plans for the next video iPod and have a touch dial.

Or they could do rotary "button" dial on the wheel, where the numbers are only visible (using OLED or something) when you are in phone mode. That way it doesnt look like a phone until you use it as one.......

octoberdeath

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
ya hopefully they will redisgn it like the older iPod Mini but with a larger screen! those were the best designed iPods i think apple has ever released. brushed aluminum...oh so nice!

PJJames

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2006
Im hoping to see bluetooth on the newew iPods. Possibley Front Row....built in iSight with Photo Booth.

octoberdeath

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2005
PJJames said:
Im hoping to see bluetooth on the newew iPods. Possibley Front Row....built in iSight with Photo Booth.

wow your hoping for a whole lot. that would be cool though to be able to take pictures and all. bluetooth should be something i think they should go with though as well, like you said. we could update contacts, calender, music, and what would be cool is if we could update with mini games all while sitting across the room! buy them off iTunes for a small fee.

G5power

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
MicroCenter special on Nano

MicroCenter has been running a special for $25 off of both the 2 & 4 GB Nano.
http://www.microcenter.com/

The previous time Microcenter had a special on Apple hardware was a package including LCD with the G4 mini before it was discontinued for the Intel version. I assume that this indicates that the Nano is on the way out to be replaced by new versions.

Like previous posters, I would love to see the capacity at least double. I would like to get an iPod to use in my car (through an input cable into my stereo) and would prefer to not have an iPod with a hard drive.

alienex

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2005
Id like to see better battery life and GASP a thinner nano?!?!?!?!?!
Why cause it would be cooler. Its fine the way it is though for now...i would guess they would try to make it possible to watch videos on it comfortably.

DanBook

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2006
Anticipated Upgrades

As I understand it, Samsung currently supplies Apple with the flash memory it uses in the nano. Right now they're using one or two 1 GB NAND chips or one 4 GB chip, depending on the configuration.

According to

http://samsung.com/Products/Semiconductor/NANDFlash/index.htm

Samsung's NAND non-volatile memory has already achieved 8 GB. The only questions that remain are whether it's cheap enough, and whether Apple can fit it inside the nano while maintaining the same form factor. If the answers to these questions are yes, then we can probably expect 8 and 16 GB versions this fall.

celebrian23

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
Under the sun
I would love an 8 or 16 GB nano. Right now, if I want the newest model, I jump from 4GB to 30GB. 4 is too small. 30 is way too large. I miss the days of 10 and 15GB ipods. Until they find a more "inbetween" size, I won't buy an ipod

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.