Redesigned Macbook in 2008 (Alu, Touchpad,...) ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ant.one, Jan 17, 2008.

1. ant.one macrumors newbie

any guesses, if there will be a redesigned macbook in 2008 ?

apple completely left the path of white design (maybe sold it to nintendo :p)
    but the macbook is still white.

i do not want to buy this nasty white plastic-cased mac if there´s a chance to get a redesigned one maybe in april or may

are there any roumors, discussions, guesses ?

regards

2. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Er... Hello McFly, didn't you know there's a Black version? :rolleyes:

3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

They were updated in November (if you checked out the Buyer's Guide) so I shouldn't imagine there's anything coming for a while.

4. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The update in November was more significant than people think. The keyboard was improved and now has media keys, it has much better speakers and it has a much more capable graphics chip.

The current MacBook is a very capable machine.

5. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Metal, iPod like shell to replace plastic this year is a strong possibility. Still colours. Not sure what this would mean for wireless reception.

Trackpad update ala the Air.

New 90 degree magnetic power couple.

Shift to micro DVI???

Will we see a base line model without optical drive in a lighter design for younger school kids to lug around I wonder. Not super sleek, but lighter and slightly smaller.

6. ant.one thread starter macrumors newbie

surely i know about the black one, but that is 200€ too expensive (compare !)
    i also know about the update in november.

my point is, i dislike the crappy white plasticcase.

i thought - meaning hoped ;) - they will come up with a redesigned macbook product line on mwsf with macbook in alu case,led screen, white keyboard and same available colours as ipod nano.

i think there´s still a chance this can happen, white polyc. is yesterday´s look, but the big question is, WHEN ???

i´d like to buy a macbook, but if people in this more or less well informed forum say never in 2008 i can live with a white one. in any other case í´ll be patient.

7. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Well-informed? I guess, although we do have no idea when these updates are due, everything you read here in regard to updates is 99.9% of the time pure speculation based on what people want there to be and the amount of time that's been between updates.

So even if we said 'yes there will be no updates' for a change, it's still possible that there will be one, just because it's all guesswork.:cool:

8. SoLibertyDies macrumors regular

Alu case with a white keyboard? are you high?

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

Please no, I like my laptops durable, metal dents.

10. thies macrumors regular

I wouldn't call the x3100 much more capable than the 950. It's still a piece of ass. Hope Apple stops cutting corners to squeeze a higher profit margin out of Macbooks and adds a dedicated GPU to the next revision.

11. TheStu macrumors 65816

Listen, why don't you make like a tree, and get the heck out of here? :)

12. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

I agree about Apple cutting corners but the graphics card is far superior to the previous. It is still shared memory, which is a drag, but it is much better than it was.

13. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

I think the MacBook will stay relatively unchanged for the foreseeable future. We will probably get the LED screens in next update as we have a similiar sized(same?) screen in the Air. I don't see the color thing happening. Not ever. That maybe worked with first iMacs/iBooks but that was a different time for Apple. I don't think we will see a repeat of that type of marketing. Apple tends to not repeat itself.

If you don't want a MacBook get the Air. Just wait 6 months for ssd prices to drop. An Air with 128 GB ssd would be a sweet machine, I just can't see paying more than $2k for it. And that, as far as I can see, is at least a year or two away.

14. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I agree, I don't see the colours coming back, but I wouldnt be suprised if they started to make them Aluminium (in possibly silver and black like the iPod's). The rest of Apple's line up is now Aluminium and that's because it's cheaper than the material used for the MacBook, so it would make sense.

I'm not saying this update is due soon (or even in 2008), but the white consumer line notebook has been around for a long time (since the G3 iBook).

I considered buying a Macbook instead of a MacBook Pro, but the thing that put me off time and time again is the colour. White gets dirty too easily, and the black ones just show up too many finger prints.

I guess only time will tell, but I think the MBP's are the next in line to be updated.

15. CyberBob859 macrumors 6502

CyberBob859

Later in the year

I think the MacBook will get updated in 2008, but I think it will happen around July-August timeframe, just in time for the "back to school" buying season.

And I think it will be made out of aluminum instead of plastic, have that silver and black (the MacBook Air) look and maybe all black. It will be slimmer and lighter, but not as slim as the MacBook Air.

And I think it will still have all the ports and optical drive as the current MacBook, along with the Core 2 Duo line of processors, no dedicated graphics chip, and the 13.3" LED screen.

In other words, it will have a configuration closer to a "standard" laptop in a price range that competes with the Windows laptops, because the MacBook is now the primary machine to woo PC users over to Mac (taking that crown away from the Mac Mini.)

16. ant.one thread starter macrumors newbie

i don´t think that´s as ridiculous as you claim. take a look at the renewed keyboard shipping with imac. i thought about that design.

17. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I agree although I think it will also be;

Cheaper

Have colour options

Get a better low end graphics card to support Leopards quartz graphics and be more of a games machine

18. MrTattoo macrumors newbie

Sounds Perfect to me!

That description sounds absolutely perfect to me,i hope your on the right track as i shall definitely be in line for a Macbook of that spec,it will be all i was hoping for in the AIR {but with a bit more body}. Listen up Mr Job's,there will be a lot of people waiting for a Macook with the afore mentioned specifications,please don't let us Dream on!

19. Josheua macrumors regular

Sorry, but Apple will NOT be putting a dedicated graphics card in the macbook any time soon. The graphics card is one of the defining differences between the macbook and macbook pro and seeing as most consumers do not need nor use the power provided by a dedicated graphics card, Apple doesn't see the need to add that technology to a consumer level computer.

-Josh :apple: