Redesigned Photos Web App on iCloud.com Now Available for Everyone

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 22, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After first testing out a new update to the Photos web app on the iCloud beta website earlier this month, Apple has now rolled out the update to all users (via Mac Generation). The overhaul to the app on iCloud.com introduces a macOS-like Photos experience with a sidebar that can be toggled on and off, and a scrollable thumbnail view of every photo in an album at the bottom of the site when looking at individual pictures.

[​IMG]

Previously, Photos on iCloud.com placed albums in a tab bar at the top of the site, so the update makes it easier to navigate multiple albums at once. To top off the navigation tweaks, there are also four action buttons in the top right corner of the web app for uploading, adding, downloading, sharing, and deleting albums and photos.

The Photos web app on iCloud.com is still lacking macOS and iOS features like editing, shared albums, memories, and people, which uses facial recognition to organize your photos on Mac and iPhone. Users can head over to iCloud.com to check out the new Photos update on the site.

Article Link: Redesigned Photos Web App on iCloud.com Now Available for Everyone

2. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I'm surprised that Tim Cook let this become more like macOS and not like iOS, but i'm glad. This is much better in my opinion.

3. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Next up—now that Facebook messenger sucks—iMessage on iCloud.com and iMessage on Android for cross-platform iMessage everywhere. I hope for a day where I can simply iMessage everyone.

4. Kobayagi macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

Very nice, but it would be great if they could work on iCloud Drive for iOS. When I put photos on there, I cant even swipe between them. You have to exit each one and then click the next one and so on and so forth...

5. Sandstorm macrumors 6502a

Sandstorm

Just tried. Nothing even close how good Google Photos online experience is.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 22, 2016 ---
    For once I agree with you. ;)

6. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

7. porky macrumors regular

Google photos is amazing. Recognises everything when you search, it even made a very nice movie of my holliday.

8. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

Wow it doesn't look beta anymore.

How many years did this take?

9. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

An infuriating and nonsense issue that shows that no one at Apple really tests some of these features.

10. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

I doubt that'll happen anytime soon (iMessage for Android that is) with the numbers guy running the company at the moment.

They'd open it to Android if they charged per message like carriers charge for texts.

I mean, the money did allow Music to get released for Android.

As it stands right now, giving people a reason to buy an iPhone is worth more than giving those with an iPhone a more universally usable messaging platform.

Lock'em in, Timmy!

Glassed Silver:ios

11. satchmo macrumors 68000

I'm not sure if that's a good thing.

12. profets macrumors 68040

Quite strange how the home page is 100% iOS styled and then the app looks purely like macOS.

Actually it's really strange how the home page is styled after iOS considering they try to dissuade people from using iCloud.com on iOS devices.

13. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

With non-stop memories with family, vacations, cats, etc., I've found my storage quickly filled with photos.

Both Apple and Google have an optimization function that kills the local high-res image to save device storage, but the number of pictures I have is using up all my cloud storage, as well.

I've been moving older albums and collections to Google Photos to free up iCloud storage. Unlimited photo storage (up to 16 MP, I believe) should help things, long-term.

I wish Apple did something like that.

14. Appleaker macrumors 68000

I guess because it corresponds with iOS apps, but you're right it's very strange. Hopefully this is the move towards a more macOS iCloud.com.

15. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Hey – I love this. Google Photos doesn't recognise my albums so it becomes one big hodgepodge.

The only small niggle is that I can't figure out how to sort albums alphabetically on iCloud version.

16. Keane16 macrumors 6502a

Keane16

Different business models. With Apple you pay them. Whereas Google get paid by selling ads.

I have a pretty large photo library so have ponied up £2.49 a month for the 200GB tier. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201238. Free is great, but nothing is actually free.

17. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Wow, just think, if they keep improving the Photos service at this rate, in two years it could be better than Google Photos....was 6 months ago.

18. Kobayagi macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

Yep, it's ridiculous. Just proves they are pushing out features just so they can say ''we can do that too'', instead of those features actually being better than the competition and making you choose them over others. It's the reason I'm still using Dropbox. If iCloud Drive worked like it should, I'd already have a subscription for more storage. But nope, Apple cares too much about selling watchbands and dongles.

19. ignatius345 macrumors 6502a

Wow, this is miles ahead of the last version of Photos on the web. The last version gave me the impression it was trying to somehow sync all my 10,000+ photos -- this one just scrolls through them with much less effort.

Shared iCloud albums are missing, though.

20. iMerik macrumors 6502

Google is killing it with Google Photos. Apple is getting there very slowly. This is nice, but it definitely has a limited feature feel compared to Google. Maybe someday Apple will be on the forefront again.

21. Seraph301083 macrumors member

Is there really no way to select multiple photos at once?
    I would like to create a shared album. But not possible.

22. techconc macrumors member

That's why Mac OS and iOS both have native clients which provide the best overall experience. Web access is nice in a pinch, but it's never a good substitute for a good native client.

23. nvmls macrumors 6502

nvmls

Hold command key and click.

Good stuff this change, I like it.

24. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

25. Sefstah macrumors 6502

So we still can't access iCloud or any of it's features from any iOS device? It's damn near 2017 for crying out loud. Google photos all the way.