Redesigned Skylake MBP Coming in Fall

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rekhyt, Jun 9, 2015.

1. rekhyt macrumors 65816

To coincide with the release of OS X El Capitan.

2. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

Got proof? Or just mere conjecture?

3. mystikjoe macrumors regular

zero proof pretty sure with the release of the mid 2015 mbp it's not happening till 2016 at the very least

4. dingdong macrumors regular

dingdong

5. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

More like a WAG (wild a** guess)

6. Studflower macrumors member

There's no proof, but it's not nearly as far-fetched as some make it out to be.

With Windows 10 PCs rolling out with Skylake starting September, Apple will also need to put out updated hardware. They'll lose so much revenue to the likes of XPS 13...

Maybe I'm just being hopeful, but I doubt Apple would skip Broadwell on rmbp 15" only to give it an update in 2016. October would be my guess for the next update.

7. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

There is one major issue with this theory, it relies on logic and apple caring one iota about what anyone else does. Neither have proved to be any use in predicting what apple will do in my experience.

8. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

It also relies on the concept that buyers are willing to purchase a mac or windows machine.
    A lot of buyers (particularly Apple users) are too entrenched in their respective ecosystem to jump ship that easily.

9. Darth Revan macrumors newbie

was looking on where to ask, and i know this is skylake thread, but

can any1 explain if there is any difference and the meaning of the

Early << mac

Mid << mac

Late << mac

are there any differences other than just in which quarter they were built ?

10. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

It's the time of year that model was released. Usually seen along with the year it was released. For example, I have an early 2011 MBP

11. old-wiz macrumors G3

The terms are to help distinguish different macs released in the same year. For example, if Apple releases a new Macbook in, for example, February, but then releases another in September, people would say early 20zx for the first one and mid or late for the second.

12. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Microsoft has a bigger hurdle to jump than Apple. Windows 8/8.1 was a disaster - a disaster the likes of Vista or Windows Me. PC sales (i.e. Windows computers) are down whereas Mac sales are up.

While Windows 10 is a LOT better than Win8, they're gonna have to convince consumers and corporations of that.

13. Jeff R macrumors 6502

Jeff R

Actually, Apple decided to divide the build dates into thirds instead of quarters.

January, February, March & April = Early
    May, June, July & August = Mid
    September, October, November & December = Late

14. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

That pretty much covers it :)

15. jk111 macrumors regular

Hopefully they release a space gray version of the Pro. Looks so good on the MacBook.

16. wct097 macrumors 6502

I hear this idea suggested a lot and I think it's completely false. If you read Apple's SEC filings they clearly state that they don't think this way. Specifically they point out that they have a minority share in a shrinking market and that they have to stay competitive.

While you may feel that you could never switch back and forth and you visit a board for of Apple-fans that dog Windows machines as if Windows is the devil incarnate, reality is far, far different. Many mainstream users don't have any software compatibility concerns and have no qualms about switching between Windows 7, Windows 8, and OS X. The same goes with power users.

I, for example, really appreciate Apple laptops as the total package, but I also run VMWare and use it to run Windows or RDP into my Windows workstations all the time. If Apple drops the ball and I have to buy something new, I'm going to go with the best and most current options. If I knock my MBP into the pool in September and my choices for replacement are the recently released Mid-2015 Haswell/Crystalwell MBP or a Skylake powered Razer Blade, I'm going with the Razer Blade. Simple as that.... and I love my MBP. I appreciate the efficiency of OS X and I really like Time Machine & my Time Capsule.

Giving it away is a good start.

Ditto.

17. Jeff R macrumors 6502

Jeff R

Definitely 2016 for new redesigned MacBook Pros.

Isn't it every 4 years that Apple releases a new design?

18. sebseb macrumors 6502

sebseb

Another topic about skylake and I will shoot myself!

19. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Get that gun ready, the nonsense and wishful thinking has many months to run yet....

20. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

Seriously, THIS!!

people need to stop making dumb speculative threads about skylake

21. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Skylake sounds to me like Skynet the story from the Terminator series, lol ! :p

22. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

It's going to be sad for all the skylake worshipers when Skylake finally arrives with the new thin keyboard and no dGPU because the iGPU will be 'good enough'

23. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Which is why I'm planning on either getting the current model or hoping for a silent refresh with Broadwell in October/November, since it's a drop in for the Haswell CPU. I want a discrete GPU and don't trust Apple not to drop it. If there's no Broadwell refresh by Autumn, I'll go with the current model.

24. superlawyer15 macrumors regular

superlawyer15

Broadwell isn't happening ..the performance bump is minuscule (essentially non-existent if you have a dGPU model) ..and the PR fallout from updating again so soon isn't worth it.

25. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

lol corporations? I don't think microsoft needs any help in the business market where the own 90% (or more) of.