Redesigned vs. last revision

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dino0829, Jul 19, 2008.

1. dino0829 macrumors member

Since a new MacBook seems imminent (based on this story here), what do you think it's going to be, a revision or a redesign. And any of you have experiences with first-gen Macs out there? I've heard people say they'd never buy a first-gen computer. What do you think?

2. aosman macrumors 6502

I'm hoping for a redesign; but it always seems to be wishful thinking...

Oh well.

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

I expect Apple to complete the implementation of the new multi-touch trackpad across their entire notebook range alongside the usual spec bump.

4. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

they will make it nature friendly,
    so i doubt it will still have the plastic white case
    but thats just what i think

5. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

So are you implying the black MBs are more nature-friendly and will thus be continued?

6. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

realistically i think it will have.
    1. new gestures track pad
    2. LED backlit screens
    3. Montevina

I wish it will have
    1. New Aluminum case and black backlit keys

7. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

you know its just a colour. no reason why it would be more environmently friendly.

8. Jpoon macrumors 6502

Hopefully it'll be a redesign for the Pros and the Macbooks. They're both showing their age in terms of design compared to PC companies. *cough everyone's copying Apple's design cough*

Too early to say yet though. I mean, there are no incriminating rumors as of yet. Just faked pictures. It's a bleak rumor at best.

9. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

As for Rev A Macs, I've only purchased one...and yep, it had its share of problems during the first 4-5 months. These were eventually figured out by Apple and fixed, but it wasn't a pleasant experience. If you take a look at the MacBook Air forums you will see a lot of probs that Apple hasn't answered yet (core shutdown) which reminds me a lot of how the old random shutdown MacBook problem was handled.

Personally I'll do my best to avoid Rev A designs in the future. Many people would probably disagree with this. If the MacBooks have a major redesign, I will be holding off about a year until purchasing it. Also if there is a redesign, it's a good idea to hit the refurb store - there will be fantastic deals on the current generation of MacBooks.

10. aneftp macrumors 601

My answers to your expections.

1. Maybe with the new gestures track pad.
    2. LED backlit (not going to happen with the macbooks).
    3. Montevina (Maybe).
    3a. Aluminum case (not going to happen) It would look to close to the Macbook Pro.

Reasons are obvious. Apple needs to justify the huge price difference between the Macbooks and Macbook pros. So the macbooks are never/unlikely going to get dedicated GPU's either. If there's too little difference between the macbooks and the macbook pro's, it will kill the pro's sales.

11. orangeillini14 macrumors regular

I used my sister's MB yesterday (after using my new MBP for a month) and I couldn't help but notice how ugly it is. :? I mean, at least the screen/display. There's an inch of plastic around the whole thing... the MBP has like half an inch of casing around the screen. It just looks a lot sleeker than the MB.

And the MB keyboard is gross. :(

12. JoeDRC macrumors 6502

It really isn't that ugly, plus its highly likely the new MBP will be sharing similar keys to the MB and MBA

13. dino0829 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the good advice. Unfortunately (or not), I'm using the student discount so the refurb store isn't option. So, if you were me, would you just buy one now? I'm kinda betting we'll see a Montevina upgrade and a revision later this year with the new Intel quad-cores.

14. illidian macrumors 6502

If Apple were not implementing Montevina, they would not be updating their notebooks.

LED screens are coming, the only question is when. Apple is falling behind the competition without LED screens in the MacBooks. I'm not asking for increased resolution on the MacBooks, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that with the next update after Nahalem.

Quad Core may come to the Pros soon (via Intel's new Core 2 Duo Extreme), but a quad-core Nahalem CPU is still a long ways off for the MacBooks.

15. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

Don't be so shy of the refurb (or clearance) store--you'll often find a better deal than your student discount will give you. (In fact, I've purchased two Macs from there rather than the education store since I've been in school.)

Unless, of course, you were planning on getting the iPod with it, since only "regular" purchases are eligible...but even then, if it's one of the less expensive iPods, you might still get a better deal. :)

16. asphyxiafeeling macrumors regular

asphyxiafeeling

spot on. (IMHO don't quote me with a "source??" comment)

17. marvel2 macrumors 6502

First gen products have too many problems. Its almost best to wait until they get the kinks out.

18. iMacmatician macrumors 601

1. Bigger screens
    2. Higher resolution screens
    3. Faster processors
    4. 7200 RPM HDD option
    5. Better speakers
    6. GRAPHICS CARD

They could do a speed bump like last year (May 2007).

The Core 2 Extreme is 45 W, too hot for the MacBook Pro. If you ask me, there probably won't be quad-core in the laptops until 2010.

19. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

Everything you quoted in your list is a MBP.

this will be a silent update thats why i put the things in my list that i did. also steve jobs open letter a Greener Apple said they will go all LED bt 2009 (i think thats what it said).

20. illidian macrumors 6502

Rather unlikely when new technology is available.

Not only is it too hot, but it's also a huge battery killer. I don't think that it will happen, but it's a remote possibility.

I think that we'll see quad-core notebooks before 2010, if only in the 17" MacBook Pro. Though I'd bet that both models of the MBP will offer Quad Core designs.

21. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I'm not so sure.

In 2010, I think that all MacBook Pros will be quad-core.