Rediculously defective iMac screen

Discussion in 'iMac' started by philosopherdog, Feb 1, 2015.

1. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

My 2011 iMac is black on one side white on the other. This thing is junk. I'm about to take it in to try to get it repaired out of warranty, but I won't pay to fix what is clearly a defective display. I'll post back what happens.

Attached Files:

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

So, the screen has had a problem since it was new, and you just now noticed it?
    More likely, a recent change, eh?
    Electronics do fail occasionally because of age.
    "fails earlier than you expect" after nearly 4 years of use, is not necessarily a factory defect, but simply a failure.
    Most likely the backlight has partially failed, which might be a problem with the backlight board, which is not a part of the LCD panel, or an internal cable may need to be reseated (not really a factory defect), or the backlight itself, which would certainly implicate the LCD panel.
    Ask Apple, maybe they will help you out...

3. FredT2 macrumors 6502

Please, don't bother.

4. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

If you go in with that attitude expect them to give you the absolute minimum service required by law.

Also you've been using it that way for 4 years? How do you see what's on the dark side of the display?

5. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

The way it hazes, it almost looks like humidity damage. Not sure if that's just from the angle that the photo was taken, though.

6. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

If it's out of warranty and there isn't an Apple recognized issue with this model then you'll have to fix it at your own expense if the parts can be had.

The easiest fix might be to buy a 27" 1600X1440 display, like the Asus PB278Q and use it, connected with the $99 Apple Dual Link DVI Adapter.

7. Entopia7 macrumors regular

I'm impressed that no one has mentioned the cardboard box (?) on your head. Anyway, good luck with the repair. It isn't junk. Electronics sometimes fail.

8. cynics macrumors G3

The screen or something to do with it has or is failing. Apple might help you out but they are under no obligation to do so just like any other hardware related failure. Ask yourself, if the screen didnt come on at all its not covered, why would this be?

Even if Apple agrees with you that its 100% a manufacturing defect. The warranty for manufacturing defects has expired anyway. Only if this is an extremely common problem (which its not, its actually relatively rare) will they put out a service bulletin and extend the warranty coverage on that particular part.

I am curious how it works out for you, post back.

I think his head is leaning out of the way you we are seeing the back of his chair. Could be wrong but that seems more likely then him having a box on his head...lol