Redirect TV output from iTunes?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by macstatic, Jan 18, 2012.

1. macstatic macrumors 65816

macstatic

I've got my iMac (iMac 8.1) running MacOS 10.6.8 connected to a TV and would like to know if it's possible to redirect video output on an application basis? Basically something like re-routing audio with Soundflower, but with video instead.

For instance, I would like to watch a movie from iTunes on the TV while someone else in the family checks mail etc. on the Mac at the same time. Is there a solution for this?

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

3. macstatic thread starter macrumors 65816

macstatic

I had no problem with this on a Windows PC almost 10 years ago. Its NVIDIA video card had an S-video connector which I connected to my TV, and whenever I watched any videoclip etc. on the PC it would simultaneously output that to the S-video connector. No fumbling around with settings or configurations.

Please tell me that this iMac (2008 model) and MacOSX Snow Leopard isn't so lame that I can't do that? :eek:
    I know Apple would love for me to fork out some extra $$$ for an Apple TV, but seriously.....!

PS: I found another thread which explains how to make QuickTime Player show videos selected as "Full screen" to output automatically to an external screen (such as a TV). But since I have all my videos organized in iTunes it's not a very practical solution. It also doesn't solved the issue of playing Youtube, streaming etc. videos from a web browser on to the TV.

4. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Well, sorry, but this is exactly the problem that Apple TV is designed to solve, and you know Apple won't solve anything with a cable that it's already solved without one.

--

I'm wondering if your previous solution was something specific in the nVidia software. Seems odd that it specifically output only video (regardless of the source). 10 years ago I had a Gateway Destination, and it just gave me the whole blipping computer screen on the TV.

5. macstatic thread starter macrumors 65816

macstatic

The Apple video output cable isn't the issue, but software is.
    Since Quicktime Player 7 and VLC can be configured to output full screen video to an external display it just shows that it can be done. That's why I was hoping for a "redirect" type application that could help those apps (iTunes among others) that don't have this option built in.