Redirecting Where Screenshots Go

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Foap, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Foap macrumors newbie

I take plenty of screenshots with my line of work; new ideas pop up multiple times a day. Problem is my screenshots all go to the desktop where they clutter stuff up. I've made a screenshot folder, but you know how it goes. "Picture 1, Picture 2" ect. When I go to put them in the folder, it makes me replace the old ones. I want to be able to have my screenshots all go directly to my screenshot folder, that way I can just have several hundred in there. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Noah

2. GGJstudios, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To change the default format for screencap images, type the following in Terminal.app:
    defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg (or whatever extension you prefer)

To change the default folder for screencap images, type the following in Terminal.app:
    defaults write com.apple.screencapture location "/Users/username/Desktop/" (or whatever path you prefer)

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If you're afraid of the Terminal, OnyX can do the same thing.

4. Foap thread starter macrumors newbie

Terrified of it. :D Thanks! I'll give it a try and let you guys know if it works.

5. Foap, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

Foap thread starter macrumors newbie

EDIT: OnyX is now crashing upon opening. Could I have help with that too?

Just downloaded OnyX, I'm trying to find where I can redirect my screenshot destinations. Can I have one more bit of help? :eek:

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

See attached screenshot.

Attached Files:

• OnyX.png
      OnyX.png
      File size:
      126.7 KB
      Views:
  7. Foap thread starter macrumors newbie

I have 10.5.8, and apparently it requires 10.6.1. When it told it to update, it said "Screw you" and updated iTunes instead. I'm not even sure if my computer is capable of being any better than it is now, so maybe what I've learned from this is that it's time to sell my laptop and get a new one. Apple needs to make computers that don't go obsolete in 3 years. :rolleyes:

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm running 10.5.8 and have zero problems with it. It's far from obsolete. If you simply use the method I posted earlier, you'll have your solution. There's nothing to fear.

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Download an older version of OnyX, you should be able to do this from the developer's website.

You can't use Software Update to update from 10.5 to 10.6, since 10.6 is a paid update. All Intel Macs can run Snow Leopard (10.6) and nearly all of them will run Lion (10.7) when it comes out. My MacBook is 3 years old and far from obsolete. My wife uses a PowerBook G4, which is about 7 years old. You're simply assuming that your computer is obsolete.

So, congratulations, your request has been answered: Apple DOES make computers that don't go obsolete in 3 years. Besides, "obsolete" is a horribly relative term. For my wife, who uses the computer mainly for web browsing, email, etc, a brand new Mac will be obsolete in about 10 years. For a professional graphic artist who needs gobs and gobs of power, if the Mac isn't latest generation it's obsolete.

10. Foap thread starter macrumors newbie

Gotcha. Thanks for the explanations. I use my Mac for recording, so I rely heavily on other software and don't know as much as I should about the computer. Me recording also explains why going anywhere near the terminal scares the absolute crap out of of me.

TOGM, Thank you very much for the link to the developers site. I was on a site that didn't have the older version available, so this helps very much. If it wasn't 1:15 in the morning, I'd wait for it to download. Unfortunately, I'm struggling to stay awake enough to keep writing. So in closing, I have another question.

You seem like a smart guy, and I don't mean that in a sarcastic way. What can I do to keep my computer up to date, even if it means paying? Is there anything past standard software update that I can do?

Thanks again. I know it's hard dealing with technological geniuses like myself, and I do mean that in a sarcastic way.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Software Update will keep your OS and Apple apps current with any updates, but it won't install new releases, such as going from 10.5 (Leopard) to 10.6 (Snow Leopard) or to 10.7 (Lion). Such major releases must be purchased. For any apps you run, Apple or 3rd party, there may be updates to the apps over time. With most apps, when you launch them, they can automatically check for any updates and alert you if any need to be installed.

Also be aware that if you install a new OS release, such as going from Snow Leopard to Lion, some of your apps that ran on Snow Leopard may not run on Lion. For those, the app developer must update the app to run on the new OS. Sometimes this is done quickly, so the update appears as soon as Lion is available. Sometimes it can take months. And sometimes a developer will abandon updates to an app, so it will never run on the latest OS. Some developers will update apps to run on new OS releases at no charge, and some will charge for the new version of the app.

12. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I don't have a lot to add to what GGJ said, it's good advice.

As for the Terminal, don't be too afraid of it ;) If you care to learn, there's some great resources on the web, Google will help you there.

13. Foap thread starter macrumors newbie

This is a great warning, thank you so much. I am seriously considering the latest OS, so I will most definitely check to make sure all of my software will run. This is probably the type of thing I would overlook. So thanks! I appreciate it.

I wouldn't really consider myself totally inept with computers, if I took the time I'm sure I could learn not to destroy my computer. I'll definitely check out some stuff to see if I can pick up on using the terminal. Of course, I'm now home from work late again. 2:13. Just... Wow. I'll take some time out of my weekend and see what I can do. The download for OnyX failed again, so it's further motivated me to conquer my fear. :)

Thanks again! I'll post again this weekend. Much appreciated; you two have been a huge help.