Redirection of '': A hint of what's to come?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Eddy Munn, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Eddy Munn, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

Eddy Munn macrumors 6502

Eddy Munn

Dec 27, 2008
    Just as a curious thought, redirects to the iOS 6 preview page for the Maps application.
    Nothing outstanding until you see it's the only iOS feature which will redirect instead of showing an error page.

There must be a logical reason why this URL exists, and is being redirected.
    This had me thinking as to whether Apple is working on a browser accessible version of their Maps application?
    Why would only one feature of iOS 6 have it's own domain?

Even more curiously,, or any other extension of that URL redirects to an 'Error 404' page on Google!.
    I posted this thread in this section because of it's relevancy to iOS 6 maps.
    Please post your thoughts.
  2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

Nov 6, 2007
    Liverpool, UK
    considering they have their own maps app now it wouldn't really be a surprise if we seen an online version
  3. CyBeRino macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2011
    #3 used to redirect to Why, no one knows.

Now they've fixed it so that redirects to the Mapps app page, but any other url starting with that still redirects to google. So will redirect to Which doesn't exist, so you get google's 404.

The original redirect is indeed curious, but this appears to just be an oversight.
  4. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

Jan 25, 2009
    Redirects to<...>
    Nothing surprising, anyways.
  5. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

Jun 20, 2003
    Brisbane, Australia
    #6 is for translating web links to google maps to provide compatibility. Nothing to see here.
  6. brylliant macrumors regular

Jul 18, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I am guessing a full version of the new Maps. Like, but done by Apple ;)
  7. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Oct 4, 2007
    A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I think a native Mac app is more likely than a web version. That's just more Apple's style and it could be integrated a lot more, sync'd through iCloud, etc.