Redoing MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by oldmanmax, May 3, 2013.

1. oldmanmax macrumors member

Need to down load a copy of mountain lion 10.8.3, an redo my Mac book. Have major issue with Apple Mail an the Apple geniuses could not fix it. But they used the information on the computer to let me do a repair install. I think I can download any version an put it on the Mac, does not mater if its a MacBook or iMac, am I correct? Is it possible to get a copy off of the App Store with out ponying up $20?

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Seems like you want an illegal copy and you have an illegal copy on it now, man up, pay the $19.99, it's cheap!

All problems with Apps can be resolved without reinstalling, if they couldn't do that you got a few dummies at the Apple store.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Yeah, not sure how people can buy a $1500+ machine and balk at paying $20 for an OS upgrade...

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

So you guys assume he wants it illegal?

What if his MBP is new and had OS X MTN lion?

• If your MBP didn't come with MTN Lion, buy it.
    • If your MBP came with MTN Lion, do an Internet Restore.

----------

Kind of like when people buy nice cars (Rovers, BMW, Benz, etc) and stick cheap a$$ wheels and tires on them... idiots.

----------

I've YET to encounter a "Genius" that actually knew anything besides to "reboot".

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

OP, if you have purchased Mountain Lion before then you can re-download it free. If not, then you will not be able to get much help here.

6. oldmanmax thread starter macrumors member

Guys, Chill, what I wanted to be able to do was get information on how to erase and reinstall the OSX. Maybe my wordage was wrong on what I wanted to do.The machine was bought in Dec last year and has Mountain Lion 10.8.3 after updates. I don't want to run a illegal copy, god knows what it might do to screw me up further. I contacted Apple and got instructions on how to do it. I thought I had to have a full hard copy of Mountain lion, and I don't. And no I rather not spend $20 if apple can assist, especially after spending $1700.
    Not everyone is a thief.

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I think I need to apologise, I started this crap, I read the text in bold and assumed you had an illigal copy running on your Macbook.

You said Macbook and no macbook came with ML, you didn't want to pay etc.

Again, my apologies.

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

That is good news :)

In that case when you restore your Mac it will ask you type in your Apple ID and then it will re-download the software.

Need help with the steps?

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You won't need to spend $20 and you won't need your AppleID. Since your machine came with Mt. Lion the serial number will be recognized by Apple's servers and the recovery process will give you Mt. Lion free.

Just command-r boot to recovery and click install OS and it will reinstall the OS. If you want to wipe everything and start fresh, just do the same command-r boot and erase Macintosh HD with Disk Util then click install OS.

10. borisiii macrumors 6502

This makes me want a MTN Dew

11. oldmanmax thread starter macrumors member

Hey guys all is well, Apple got me the directions and it was a breeze. No hard feelings, rather do face to face on questions, as wordage can be interpreted incorrectly. All have a good weekend:)

12. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Glad you're all sorted :)