Redoing my Room: Needs lots of advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ErikCLDR, Aug 19, 2007.

1. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

My birthday is coming up and I don't really know what I want so I thought maybe I should just ask to have my room redone. The room was originally my sisters but now that she's in college she's not home 1/2 the year so I got it. I want to make the room my own and not have it be a hybrid of our styles. I need to design advice on what I should do here. I want to go for a cool modern comfortable look while maintaining functionality, and some neutrality (color wise, I can't paint my room bright orange or something.

Carpet:
    It's off white and I'm going to have to stick with it.

Wall Color:
    My Biggest Decision. Right now its a light green color that I absolutely hate. Its very feminine and I don't really like the color green anyways. My favorite color is blue, but I don't want my room to be too intense or dark having blue walls. I could go with a light blue but I want to find the right color. I could also go with a tan/beige color. The hallway outside my room is painted a sage green color.

Furniture:
    I am keeping my desk and my bed. I'm planning on getting a nice desk chair and removing that awful corner hutch. I need the storage space so I need something to replace it with. Additionally I am planning on getting new night stands that match the rest of my furniture. I am not sure to go with a cherry color like my desk or to go with a very dark brown or black wood.

Lighting:
    I plan on getting new lighting as well. I like my desk lamp but I don't like the ones on the night stand. First off they are old and I am only using them because my room is dark and they match and 1 lamp isn't enough room for m light. I recently broke the shade on one when I knocked it off the table in my sleep lol. The corner my room near the desk is very dark so I want something to light that area up but I don't know what.

Curtains
    I could really care less about them, I think they'll make my room feel dark or something. I would like some blinds however to keep out the bright sun out of my eyes in the morning. I am not sure what type to go with though.

Bathroom
    I'll need a new wall color and color scheme for the bathroom as well. I don't know where the red shower curtain came from but I think its horrible. I also want to get new carpets because they look filthy.

Bedding
    I need new sheets anyways so this doesn't really matter, as long as they match everything else.

Pictures and Such
    I think I am going to take down the porsche poster, maybe the rover poster, and probably the bermuda triangle map. I don't know what to put up though. I kinda like those floating shelves or the shelves that look like a big piece of molding (I don't know their name).

---

So this is a very long post, thanks for reading. I don't really know where to start or what I want. I was just hoping for your guys and gals to give me some advice and tips.

I've included some pics to help describe my room as it is now:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

for the corner i would go w/ a torcherie lamp

Attached Files:

3. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I would go with something darker like maroon for the walls.

I agree that a torcherie lamp or two is always a good addition to cast light up towards the ceiling when you do not have a ceiling fixture.

4. jng macrumors 65816

jng

Change the wall color definitely. I hate dark wall colors though. I'd go with white or cream.

What's wrong with the corner hutch?

As for posters, go apple? I find posters tacky anyway, esp ones of cars. Unless it's a GREAT photograph and it has to be framed. Curtains are important. They accent the room.

The bed itself is feminine so maybe you want a new bed.

5. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

6. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

move the bookshelf to the other side of the desk and get a plasma/flat screen tv.
    I assume your a guy. You need a different bed and sheets etc. new lamps on the night stand a new night stand. (dark wood) and paint the walls. And get some posters or frames and print pictures of your friends/family/photoshop projects u did