Redownload App Not on the Store Anymore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Garrett, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Garrett macrumors regular

I reformatted my Macbook, so when I resynced my iPhone, it wiped it clean. Now I can't download my Netshare or Tris, this is BS, I want my $10 back!

Any idea? I checked for purchases but no luck :( :mad:

2. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

You can try to get Apple to give you a refund... but you can't get the Apps back =/

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

What we've been doing is downloading the app(s) that we already purchased, but in your case they no longer exist. Sorry to hear that, maybe you can call AppleCare Support Tech and have a copy of your receipt handy. :(

4. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Umm, Time Machine? ;)

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yup, back-up I always say; then back-up on an external hard drive after that. :eek:

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.0.2 JB'd): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

Exactly. And for really important data (irreplaceable pics and videos, for example) I also keep offsite backups. You can never be too careful! :)

7. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

im confused why is netshare gone from your iphone ?

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm confused why you think you should get a refund...it's not Apple's responsibility for you to back up your files.

9. jalpert macrumors 6502

Because being able to re download a purchased program is an official feature of the Appstore. I'm confused as to why you would even think about posting something so useless.

Backing up your IPA's is easy. Click on applications on the left in itunes and just drag and drop the app you want to back up into a folder on your hard drive (or backup drive). At least you can avoid it next time.

10. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Until Apple can provide me with a crash-proof OS, an iMac with a fail-proof HDD, and an iPhone 3G that functions as advertised, it is absolutely their responsibility to make my iTMS purchases available fir download. If an item is no longer available for download, it is their responsibility to refund me for that purchase.

You'd have to have pretty big Apple blinders on to not not see that.

11. Rigsby macrumors regular

It's things like this that make me paranoid about backup (Time Capsule, regular archive of the Time Capsule, and an off-site backup)!

Reading the T&Cs found at http://www.apple.com/legal/itunes/appstore/us/terms.html:

And, of course, the classic:

Before I get flamed I'm making no comment on whether Apple are right or wrong in doing this, but I think they are fairly clear in their mind that if they want to withdraw something and you want to keep it, you're on your own.

12. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

wow that's written pretty clearly looks like you are screwed OP

13. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

Since you've already purchased the app, couldn't someone email you the ipa files? When loaded into iTunes or your phone, they'd be in your purchase history, and should work just fine.

14. Rigsby macrumors regular

It won't work. Each app has a Fairplay wrapper that has the purchaser's account in it. You need to have that account authorised on the computer you sync your phone to, so the OP would need someone who not only has the apps, but also is prepared to trust him with their iTunes account.

15. hsenletap macrumors newbie

RE: Redownload App Not on the Store Anymore

Hi Garrett,

If you can find someone who would send you a copy of the app you should be able to use that since iTunes knows you download that app... it should let you install it back. I've done that with Monkey ball. I've had my brother send me the app and then activate his itunes account on my iMac. In your case I would think you would only need the app is someone can send it to you.

Hope that helps.:)

16. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I agree that if Apple pulls an app, you should receive a refund if requested.

17. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I disagree

only for the fact that it makes me happy to know that the idiots who bought the $1000 app will not be getting their money back

18. Garrett thread starter macrumors regular

I used Time Machine with my old machine! When I setup my new Mac, it said it had to reformat my external before I could use it with my external. So that is why I don't have the IPA anymore :(

@Interstella5555: That isn't their responsibility no, but it is implied when they allow you to download previous purchases (even paid) with no charge. So when they don't let me download a previous app that they took off and they charged for, I should be entitled to a refund. I hope when this happens to you, you will post and complain so I can show you this thread.