Reds are rusty on 17" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ProMod, Feb 5, 2008.

1. ProMod macrumors 6502a

I posted this over at the Apple forum, but got no response (somewhat typical for that forum):

I have had my 17" MBP since right after the last refresh - August 07. It has been a great machine, but I have recently noticed something. I got a 23" ACD a couple weeks ago, and it is absolutely perfect. However, comparing it to the MBP screen has made me realize something: most of the colors, especially red, are washed out on my MBP. I know I will not see the same level of color depth on the laptop that I do on the cinema display, but this level of difference is sort of troubling. No matter what I do as far as calibration, I still cannot get this issue resolved. Everything that is a vibrant red on the ACD is a rust color on the MBP, while most other colors are somewhat similar albeit less saturated.

Anyone else notice this? Any solutions or do I have a hardware problem?

2. juanm macrumors 65816

Have you tried with an external (hardware) calibration?

3. ProMod thread starter macrumors 6502a

No, I haven't had access to one. I would like to try it though. Do you think it would make a huge difference? I have heard these displays are not possible to calibrate by a few professionals.

4. jt2ga65 macrumors regular

I have problems with my 17 MBP display where coming out of screen sleep, or even just the screen saver leaves the whole display washed out. I can usually get it to come back to normal by mousing to the screen-saver hot corner, (activate the screen saver) and then waking it again. Some times it takes more than once. Usually it just affects the MBP display, but some times it will wash out the external display instead.

I also have the problem of the backlight turning off after 2-3 minutes of inactivity.

I think it's a Leopard bug. I do not remember it doing it before I upgraded, but I only had the thing a couple weeks before I installed Leopard.

-jt2