redsn0w [4.3.1] vs. greenpois0n [4.2.1] ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by BoBBBBBBBO, Apr 4, 2011.

1. BoBBBBBBBO macrumors newbie

I've got my brand new iPhone 4 16GB today and it came with 4.2.1 pre-installed and I want to jailbreak it. I know it's to early to ask because the 4.3.1 jailbreak was released today, but I wanted to ask which jailbreak is better and what are the problems I may end up with? I know that some were reporting that greenpois0n on 4.2.1 had battery issues and there were reports that the iOS 4.3.1 itself had battery issues as well, but also had Wi-Fi connectivity issues and the signal strength bar is showing just one bar of signal [so I read on the official Apple discussion forum]. So my question is: Should I jailbreak with greenpois0n on 4.2.1 or with redsn0w on 4.3.1?

2. starwarsboy95, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

starwarsboy95 macrumors newbie

Not sure, but...

Well I have an 8GB iPod touch 4, and I am currently using green pois0n. Some problems I have found are:

Shorter battery life (although this doesnt affect me much)
    sinful iPhonerepo (a source on Cydia) doesn't work (I'm not sure why, but it might just be cydia, not Green Pois0n*
    Installous gives frequent "invalid IPA" notifications*
    Some small app store problems in regard to updates and installing apps*

*I don't know if these are caused by Green Pois0n or some glitch, but I don't think Green Pois0n had anything to do with it.

I've never had any wifi problems, and other than those few problems (a small price to pay) using Green Pois0n on my iPod was the best thing I've ever done with it. :) totally worth it, and the friends that I have jailbroken love it too. I don't know much about Red Sn0w, but I do know that Green Pois0n is a very good program, and it is simple and easy to install. I will let you know if I find any more problems. Hope this helps!

3. Sine Qua Non macrumors member

Since Apple isn't signing 4.2.1 anymore and your phone is brand new, you won't be able to save your SHSH blobs for 4.2.1. That means, should you ever need to restore, you can't do it to 4.2.1. So, you might as well go to 4.3.1.
    If you're interested in preserving your current baseband, use PwnageTool to create a custom IPSW and jailbreak.

4. BoBBBBBBBO thread starter macrumors newbie

I must be jailbroken to use TinyUmbrella to save my SHSH blobs?

5. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

no

6. cheesyappleuser macrumors 6502a

cheesyappleuser

I read jailbreak reduces battery life. Is it significant/is there a way to improve it?

Also, are all jailbreaks the same (I'm talking about customization) or we are the only people who customizate phone after flash?

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

1) Lies, jb shouldn't affect battery life, an app you download from Cydia maybe but the jb itself shouldn't affect battery life.
    2) :confused:

8. Wowzera macrumors 6502a

there's no battery problem, stop this discussion. JB has nothing to do with your battery.

Also, the title should be 4.2.1 vs 4.3.1. Greenpois0n and redsn0w are tools to jailbreak your iOS, there's no performance boost/decrease from any side,

9. starwarsboy95 macrumors newbie

On second thought...

I don't think the jb affected the battery life, but one of my favorite games did. And all the software issues are from a package I accidentally installed, I think.