Redsn0w after purplerain?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jacobp, Aug 20, 2009.

1. jacobp macrumors member

Hello. I jailbroke my 3GS using Purplerain. I understand that Purplerain is no longer being developed. I was wondering if it made sense to run redsnow on the unit now. And if so, can I run it on top of the jailbroken phone or would I have to restore it to a non-jailbroken state before I rain redsnow.

Thanks.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    What would jailbreaking an already jailbroken phone do? It's like trying to unwrap a Christmas present that has already had the paper ripped off. You don't need to use redsn0w until 3.1 is released. :)

3. jacobp thread starter macrumors member

I know, it sounds like an extremely dumb idea. But I have read that some people have had problems with some programs under purplerain, so I was just wondering if it made sense to re-jailbreak it with redsnow.

4. COBRASVT macrumors regular

I jailbroke w/purplera1n, but when I went to do a back up of my iPhone after upgrading iTunes, it forced me to upgrade to 3.1.

I'd been wanting to upgrade anyway, so I said what the hell. Backed up Cydia apps with aptbackup and did the upgrade.

Then used redsn0w to jail brake again...restored my Cydia apps and haven't had a problem one.

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    3.1 isn't released yet... :p

If you are already jailbroken, don't waste your time, it won't make things any better, unless you are having problems.

6. COBRASVT macrumors regular

Sorry...3.0.1