Redsn0w Boot Launcher

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by jaikob, Feb 1, 2009.

1. jaikob macrumors 6502

jaikob

I am releasing my iPod touch 2G Redsn0w Lite launcher.

This launcher is MAC ONLY!

Sorry Windoz Users​

The application comes with no warranty. And it will be used at your own risk (Even though you should be fine).
    Please report any bugs to me so I can promptly get them fixed.
    The DMG image is attached to this post.

Directions:
    Because I do not want to violate any copyright and other things of that sort, the original iBSS, hacked iBSS, and hacked iBoot are not included. Please follow all directions of the application window.

Because this application uses Terminal, pleas ensure it is closed before you use the application, and do not close terminal, it will close on its own after you boot from the patched iBoot.

As opposed to all the one button boot applications already posted, this is separated into 3 parts. I have tested other users applications to find that a 1 click method is not the best way to do this (They do not always work, for example under high CPU loads).

This application is pretty noob proof as long as the directions are followed.

I hope you enjoy my release, I know I am :)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

This program looks great. I tried running redsnow on my PC through command prompt 10 times...didn't work. I got an error 1604 or something every time. Now I'm trying it on my macbook with your program. I hope it works. Will I have to restore my iPod Touch at all during this process? Will all my apps and music be kept on the iPod during the process?

Thanks!

3. jaikob thread starter macrumors 6502

jaikob

This program only boots your jailbroken touch, you will not have to re apply firmware, it assumes you have a working jailbreak, or you have successfully booted into jailbroken firmware.

I will be releasing a slimmer version soon. That is my next goal.

Though if you need to jailbreak, you only need to hit the first two buttons, and then install firmware through itunes :D

4. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

wait so should I use PwnageTool first to build the jailbreak firmware? Then it will install it for me? Then do I jump to your application to inject the redsn0w stuff?

i'm getting confused

5. jaikob thread starter macrumors 6502

jaikob

My application is merely the "Tethered Boot", if you shut down, it will start your iPod.

what you have to do is this:

Get the 2.1.1 firmware.
    Change extension to .zip on the 2.1.1.
    Extract the files.
    Find iBSS****.dfu (stars mean I don't know what comes after iBSS =P)
    Extract that and rename it: iBSS211.dfu

Download the Redsn0w Lite package: http://redsn0w.com/rslite101.zip

If Cydia doesn't install for you (it didn't for me the first time), instead of just copying over the CustomPackages folder, open it up and view the contents of CydiaInstaller.bundle (do this for the folder in PwnageTool.app and the folder in rslite). You will notice that the rslite bundle only has the Info.plist file inside it. Copy that over to the PwnageTool bundle and Cydia will install fine.
    Pwn the 2.2.1 firmware with Pwnage tool.

Once 2.2.1 is pwned, change the extension to .zip, and extract the files. Change the extension back to .ipsw

Extract iBSS****.dfu, and name it: iBSS221pwn.dfu
    Extract iBoot***.img3 from the 2.2.1 firmware and name it iBoot221pwn.img3
    For this part it might be better to reference the README on redsn0w.com.

Re-download my application, I had a few typos in the directions.

Right click on Redsn0w Boot Launcher and view package contents.
    Navigate to Contents/Resources/Redsn0w

Move the files I told you to extract/rename to this directory.

If you have not jailbroken yet, you will need to put your ipod into DFU, follow my directions on Redsn0w Launcher.

Once in DFU, Hit the button: Step 2: Send Normal iBSS (Terminal will error out if you have an invalid file, wrong file name)
    wait approx 3 seconds after the alert dialog and hit the step 3 button to send the redsnow patch.

Now you will need to go into itunes to upload the pwned 2.2.1 firmware. Option click "Restore" and browse for the pwned ipsw file. Let it do its thing.

After it is done, your ipod will appear to be off. Don't panic thats normal. Put your iPod into DFU mode again by following my directions.

Then continue with Steps 2 - 4 on the Redsn0w Boot Launcher application (The buttons).

If you have failed a JB, please restore back to system settings.
    Unplug your ipod for a minute.
    Plug it back in, and get it into DFU (You know the drill =p)
    Hit step 2: Send Normal iBSS
    Wait 3 seconds after dialog.
    hit: Step 3: Send Redsn0w
    now click on the restore button in itunes and let it do its thing.
    After that is done, follow the steps above to jailbreak.

Phwew.
    The redsn0w README is a gold mine. Reference it if you have troubles.

Note on DFU, it might help you to keep iTunes open. Your ipod will look like its powerless. That is normal. Having itunes open will tell you when your iPod is in DFU. Close out of itunes after that.
    I would have included the firmware and pwned firmware files in the app, but that is illegal (Distributing apple code).

on another note, Im sure you have libusb installed. If not here it is: http://www.ellert.se/PKGS/libusb-2008-09-27/10.5/libusb.pkg.tar.gz

6. slieu92 macrumors regular

7. jaikob thread starter macrumors 6502

jaikob

Yes, as long as you apply the DFU fix.

Instructions from Dev Team site:

Fixing DFU mode on 10.5.6

As noted previously OS X 10.5.6 introduced a bug that affected the use of DFU mode. with some Macs. There have been previously published hacks and techniques to fix this, but here is another method that can be used to temporarily restore DFU functionality in order to use QuickPwn or PwnageTool.

8. bronx2007 macrumors newbie

I got a Macbook PowerPC which isn't able to run the Boot Launcher, so could you create a launcher compatible with PPC? Or do you know any another way for jailbreaking with a PPC.?

9. --Lighting-- macrumors newbie

Leopard only?

Is this only for leopard? It just closes every time i try to open it with tiger.

10. Trip.Tucker Guest

MAC ONLY!

11. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

yeah....and your point is???? I said I tried it on my PC, it didn't work, so I was going to try it on my Mac with the OP's program.

Maybe you should read what you are quoting first...

EDIT: perhaps that was a bit harsh...