redsn0w failure

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by MaxBurn, Dec 16, 2010.

1. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Seems to be failing for me, redsn0w runs for about 15 minutes in the step where the phone says downloading jailbreak data. After that the phone reboots and goes to the password screen, and redsn0w is still in the uploading ramdisk screen. Nothing happens after this, no Cydia.

Thoughts on why it failed?

Phone is on a custom (devteam update#3) 4.2.1 ipsw with baseband 5.13.04, restored all user settings no problem and everything works great. Was previously 4.0.2.

2. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Minor update, I found I had an older redsn0w_win_0.9.6b4, instead of the new redsn0w_win_0.9.6b6. Unfortunately it didn't seem to make a difference, still no cydia though the progress bar gets further along.

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Use an official 4.2.1 ipsw in redsn0w not the custom one.

4. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Yes, found that out in another thread. I have both the custom one and the official one here to work with, pointing redsn0w to the official one.

Going to try restoring the phone again, working on the theory I hosed something when using the wrong version of redsn0w.

5. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Use the custom one to restore/update your iPhone, then use the official one to jailbreak in redsn0w.

6. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Yes, that's what I'm doing. Redsn0w won't even load with the wrong/custom firmware. Also my baseband is still 5.13.04 so I haven't mixed that up yet.

7. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Well i got it but unfortunately I had to restore as new.

Tried about five times with a proper restore with a backup and redsn0w always failed. Even failed it I told itunes to restore as a previous backup but didn't let it complete the backup.

When it works it takes maybe 3 minutes to jailbreak, but takes 15 minutes of no activity to fail.