Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaiDaHaus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2010
Texas
Trying to use the latest redsnow and the 4.2.1 firmware fior my iphone 4, but I keep getting stuck at the "uploading ramdisk". My phone seems to be responding since it's getting the image of downloading, but i dont know whats going on. I've even re-downloaded the soft/firmware again.

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
I am having the same issue as well. I have followed all the online guides that I can find and am running it in xp compatibility mode. If you figure out what is going on let me know.

MaxBurn

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2010
Try restore as new instead of restoring with backup. Then jailbreak.

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Yeah well glad it worked for you!! I'm still SOL , I was running in xp mode from the beginning and after 7 failed attempts I'm giving up until the official untethered jb is out. (it's my wifes phone any way, mines on 4.1 so I'm good.)

bute76

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2011
Cydia crashing with redsn0w

I'm having trouble with cydia. I had my iPhone 4 jailbroken a month or 2 ago and I installed a new update from Apple and everything went away. I used limera1n but now i recently tried to jailbreak it with redsn0w. It jailbreaks fine then when I try and open cydia it crashes right away. Also the cydia logo is not on the app it is just a blank white screen. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm using a Mac to jailbreak my IPhone 4.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I'm having trouble with cydia. I had my iPhone 4 jailbroken a month or 2 ago and I installed a new update from Apple and everything went away. I used limera1n but now i recently tried to jailbreak it with redsn0w. It jailbreaks fine then when I try and open cydia it crashes right away. Also the cydia logo is not on the app it is just a blank white screen. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm using a Mac to jailbreak my IPhone 4.

If you're on 4.2.1, after jailbreaking with redsn0w you have to run it in "tethered mode"

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
I have an iphone 4 on 4.2.1 and I never used tethered mode at any stage in the jailbreaking process. My iphone reboots and launches cydia just fine without ever having to boot tethered. What baseband is on your phone? Do you care about an unlock? This version of redsn0w 0.9.7b4 allows for an untethered jailbreak.

f4780y

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2009
Troon, Scotland
I have an iphone 4 on 4.2.1 and I never used tethered mode at any stage in the jailbreaking process. My iphone reboots and launches cydia just fine without ever having to boot tethered. What baseband is on your phone? Do you care about an unlock? This version of redsn0w 0.9.7b4 allows for an untethered jailbreak.

And how's your Bluetooth?

rccarr

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2011
Iphone 3gs Problems booting up after using redsnow

I updated my iphone 3gs to firmware 4.2.1 and tried using redsn0w to jailbreak it. I followed the on screen prompt and it showed the pineapple logo and went through those steps. After that it went to reboot and can not boot up. The apple logo comes on for about 2 min then flashes and comes back on. I put it in DFU mode to try and restore using itunes, but it goes about 3/4 the way through and says it can not complete restore and gives me error code 1015. I think it is because i tried installing the ipad firmware so i can unlock it also. Can anyone point me in the right direction to install firmware so it will boot up again. Please let me know if you need more detailed information. Thanks.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I updated my iphone 3gs to firmware 4.2.1 and tried using redsn0w to jailbreak it. I followed the on screen prompt and it showed the pineapple logo and went through those steps. After that it went to reboot and can not boot up. The apple logo comes on for about 2 min then flashes and comes back on. I put it in DFU mode to try and restore using itunes, but it goes about 3/4 the way through and says it can not complete restore and gives me error code 1015. I think it is because i tried installing the ipad firmware so i can unlock it also. Can anyone point me in the right direction to install firmware so it will boot up again. Please let me know if you need more detailed information. Thanks.

You cannot restore it with an official restore thru itunes any more since you updated it to the ipads baseband version.
You can only restore it with custom IPSW firmware created with pwnage.
You first have to put the iphone in pwned DFU mode with redsnow and after you do that you can shift and click restore thru itunes and point it to the custom JB 4.2.1 ipsw.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.