redsn0w issues - can't load cydia

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by hack-a-shack, Mar 25, 2010.

1. hack-a-shack macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am in a similar situation to the one discussed here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=868388&highlight=redsn0w+cydia

I jailbroke/unlocked using blackra1n/blacksn0w. But for some reason Cydia did not appear on my springboard. So the bad news is that after a couple of tries to reinstall cydia, to no avail, I uninstalled blackra1n, so now blackra1n thinks I am trying to boot when I install it, rather than reinstalling the application, which means no cydia install option. I tried enabling/disabling restrictions to see cydia, but to no avail. So now it appears that I am going to have to use redsn0w to install cydia on the phone.

I downloaded redsn0w 0.9.2 and the appropriate ipsw file (3.1). However, upon starting redsn0w and directing it to the ipsw file, I get the "unable to recognize ipsw" message from redsn0w. I am wondering if I need to do a shift-restore and restore my phone to the downloaded ipsw file. However, I have been reading on the board that any restore will automatically update to 3.1.3. Is this correct, or would shift restoring to a downloaded ipsw file allow me to revert to the factory 3.1 file? Would this interfere with my blacksn0w unlock? FYI I do not have any information uploaded to saurik's servers so I can't go that route.

I am wondering if it would be possible to get cydia using redsn0w, (using the already pwned checkbox), or if it would be wiser to just live life sans cydia. Thanks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Make sure the firmware file you downloaded ends in .IPSW and not ZIP
    Sometime the browsers rename it and redsnow cannot recognize it.

3. hack-a-shack thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried renaming it, and downloaded from several different sites using firefox. It is recognized on my computer as an ipsw file, but redsn0w still doesn't recognize it. Would I need to restore my phone to this version before redsn0w could recognize it or is that not a good idea?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What's on your iPhone doesn't make any difference.
    Make sure you downloaded the correct firmware file for your phone model.

5. hack-a-shack thread starter macrumors newbie

Definitely made sure I had the right ipsw. Running a 3.1 3GS. I am wondering if for some strange reason it is necessary to have the two files together in a pwnage folder as indicated here:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7449

(I know that the tutorial is for 3.1.2 - but I could not find a tutorial for 3.1)

This tutorial also recommends using the shift restore method which I am still uneasy about. What is the verdict on that?

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Interesting.
    I was searching the other night also and couldn't find if redsnow is compatible with 3.1 I read about 3.0 and 3.1.2 was for sure.
    Maybe give blackrain a try?

7. hack-a-shack thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah... Not sure if it is? Anyone out there jailbreak a 3.1 with redsn0w? The problem with blackra1n is that I already ran it, tried to install cydia (which failed) and deleted the app after a couple of tries. Now everytime I run blackra1n, it thinks I am trying to boot or something, and doesn't even install blackra1n to my springboard anymore after the whole geohot, reboot process.

8. Davidp2009 macrumors newbie

Help!!! Cydia will not run

Hey all!

Need a little help! does anyone know why cydia will not run when you click on it?

I have a jailbroken Iphone 3g 16gb.

I have the cydia app but when i click on it nothing happens....all i get is a black screen then it goes back to my homescreen.

can anyone help!

it would be greatly appreciated!