redsn0w+Pwnage over jailbreakme???

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Gmas, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Gmas macrumors member

So finally feel like I'm ready to dip my toes in the jailbreaking waters here. Have been reading up and noticed on the flowchart in the sticky at the top that they advise those with a 3GS + old bootrom + 3.0 f/w to go the redsn0w route to J/B and then upgrade to 4.0 custom firmware with Pwnage Tool.

Just wondering why this route is suggested for my model/firmware as opposed to the newer (and seemingly easier) jailbreakme method???

I feel like I'm missing something.

Thanks!

2. Gmas thread starter macrumors member

3. doolin.nc macrumors member

I would just wait and see about the unlock coming out tonight. It'll be much easier to use JailbreakMe.com + planetbeing's new unlock if possible.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you can use a custom 4.0 ipsw created with pwnage go with that.
    Its a more solid and more reliable JB method than any userland JB.

5. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Redsn0w and PwnageTool use a bootrom exploit which allows "pwns" the firmware. This allows the a phone can be activated without an official SIM, to have custom boot logos, etc. More importantly, such a phone can always be upgraded to a custom firmware which will preserve this exploit, guaranteeing your ability to every future version of the iPhone OS. People with pwned phones already know that they will be able to jailbreak iOS 5.0, because they are preserving the 24kpwn exploit on their phones, and Apple can do nothing about it.

JailbreakMe uses a userland exploit which does not pwn the bootrom. This exploit will certainly be patched in iOS 4.1, making it impossible to jailbreak 4.1 with JailbreakMe.com -- but those "on the jailbreak train" will be able to jailbreak 4.1 almost immediately. When 4.0 came out, for instance, people with pwned 3GS's were able to jailbreak the very next day; those not pwned were not able to until Sunday.

Finally, there is another very important reason to prefer pwnage to a userland jailbreak: custom firmwares can be created that do not upgrade the phone's baseband. This means that, when 4.1 (and 5.0, and 6.0...) are released with upgraded basebands that break the ultrasn0w unlock, those of us with pwned phones will be able to preserve our ability to unlock...and significantly increased residual values for our phones.

In sum, redsn0w/PwnageTool have the following benefits over JailbreakMe:

1) Ability to hacktivate the phone and create custom bootlogos.

2) Guaranteed almost immediate jailbreak for all future iOS versions.

3) Ability to unlock future versions by preserving baseband.

6. Gmas thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much applejuiced and especially thelatinist for that long detailed answer.

Totally makes sense now and sounds like it's worth the extra effort to go through the redsn0w + Pwnage method. Gonna try and give it a shot this weekend I think.

Thanks again guys - much appreciated.

7. HUGE AL macrumors regular

Applejuiced & thelatinist,

I've learned a great deal from you two on this board.

Couple questions:

Because of the cited reasons above, would you recommend waiting for a PwnageTool jailbreak for the iPhone 4?

I previously jailbroke my 3G with blackra1n. I take it this is not a pwn jailbreak, correct? If so, should I re-jailbreak with the PwnageTool?

Thanks again!

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

For the i4 we dont know if or when pwnage will support it so your only option is jailbreakme.com so I'd go for it.
    For the 3G you can use pwnage or redsnow.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Using JailbreakMe.com now will not affect whether you can use any future pwnage-style jailbreak that might be developed. It is only those who are currently pwned who should be careful not to lose their pwned state.

Your 3G is pwned, but that really doesn't matter on a 3G. You can just upgrade it to 4.0.1 and use the latest version of redsn0w. A different exploit is used on the 3G than on the 3GS. Just be careful not to upgrade toe 4.1 until you can do so with PwnageTool, since the 4.1 firmware contains a new baseband which breaks ultrasn0w.

10. HUGE AL macrumors regular