RedSnow JB Question

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by rickp1, Jun 15, 2012.

1. rickp1 macrumors member

I ran this on my iphone so I could install tetherme and it worked fine. Some while later i had to reboot my system and I lost tetherme and Cydia so I ran the redsnow JB again. It asked me to run it in DFU mode so I did with no issues and all seems back to normal.

If I have to reboot my phone and lose tetherme and Cydia again, do I need to run the JB app again to re-install these features or can I just reboot the phone in DFU mode like described in the JB install to get tetherme and cydia back?

I hope this makes sense, new to all this.

thanks for any help.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

you need to reinstall from cydia you will have to sign back in on purchases in cydia so you don't have to repay for it.

3. rickp1 thread starter macrumors member

When I rebooted and lost tetherme and cydia i couldnt. The cydia icon was still there but when I clicked on it nothing happened until i reran the JB. then when I went back into Cydia to reinstall tetherme it was smart enough to know I had already payed for it so all it asked me to do was re install it. It was great, i was impressed.

My issue is when i lose these features do I need to reconnect the phone to the computer to rerun the JB or can I just reboot in DFU mode and it will do it on it;s own without the computer. Not a big deal just a nice convenient feature to know about.

4. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

We need more information. What iOS are you on.

Unless you have a tethered jailbreak, rebooting your phone should not make you lose Cydia or anything else. Even then, you won't lose Cydia, you have to open RedSn0w, go to Extras and click "Just Boot Tethered".

You should never re-run a jailbreak over an already jailbroken device. If you feel you need to re-jailbreak, restore the firmware to stock via iTunes first.

To clarify, are you on 5.1 with a tethered JB? Untethere JB on 5.1.1? What phone are you using (4, 4S)?

5. rickp1 thread starter macrumors member

Iphone4 iOS 5.1.1
    As for tethered or un not sure, maybe you can can help me answer. I can boot my phone with no issues with out my computer but then I lose Cydia (not the icon, app just wont open) and tetherme, but the phone and all standard apps work with no issues.

FYI the only app or change I've done to my phone after running redsnow JB was to install Cydia so I could install and run tetheme for my Ipad 2 when not in a Wifi area. That's all I've installed after JBing the phone.

I hope this helps

6. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

After you reboot (wehn Cydia won't open), does Safari open and run like normal?

7. rickp1 thread starter macrumors member

I never checked Safari. I did use the contacts, calendar, and and other basic apps. Does running safari mean anything in particular?

8. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

After you've turned your phone off, then restarted it, if you click Safari and it immediately closes like Cydia did (as you described above), that's a sign that you're likely running a tethered jailbreak. There's nothing wrong, that's just how a tethered JB behaves on iOS 5 (I know because that's what I'm running right now).

If that's the case, I believe you'll either need to install Rockey Racoon from Cydia to "untether", or restore and rejailbreak with Absinthe or RedSn0w.

9. rickp1 thread starter macrumors member

Great to know. Let me ask you what's the difference between Absinthe and RedSn0w. I have both downloaded. I used Redsnow first then learned about Absinthe as a JB app.

10. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

From what I've read, since you have an iP4, the Ram Disk jailbreak method is preferable (especially if you have a lot of data on your phone), and RedSn0w is the tool for that. Otherwise, it doesn't matter.

11. rickp1 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the help and info. much appreciated

12. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Glad to help. Let us know how it goes.