Redsnow not recognizing my ipsw... Also I'm having trouble trying to downgrade

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iamthescottie, May 5, 2011.

1. iamthescottie macrumors newbie

I have and Iphone 3g, with the latest ipsw installed by Itunes 10 (should be 4.2.1)

In order for me to downgrade I have to put my phone into DFU mode which has been difficult, but through Google I found a forum post that said redsnow will put your phone into DFU mode, you just need the exact ipsw to start the redsnow process...

I have downloaded 4.2.1 but redsnow doesn't recognize it, any idea what could be wrong?

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

you don't need to put it into DFU to restore. if you have PC, press shift + restore at the same time and it will allow you to pick the firmware file you want. For 3G, my recommendation is to downgrade it to 3.1.3.

3. iamthescottie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I read somewhere that the difference between recovery mode and DFU mode is iboot, and iboot blocks a restore unless it higher than what you currently have, but iboot doesn't run in DFU mode.

I'll try some more to see what I can do, but the last few times I tried shift + restore with 3.1.3 it didn't succeed (I'm using tiny umbrella to exit recovery mode at the end too)

4. iamthescottie thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: Redsn0w is recognizing the ipsw, I didn't have the latest version of redsn0w, now I do and that problem is solved, however my phone still isn't going into DFU mode, and I'm still on 4.2.1

5. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

There must be a faulty power or home button which prevent you to get the phone into DFU mode.

If that the case, downgrade the phone to 3.1.3, activate it and then jailbreak with spirit or jailbreak me.com and you don't even need to put it into DFU mode.