Redsnow or Pwnage?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by FuriousD, Jun 23, 2009.

1. FuriousD macrumors member

Just come back from hols so have missed loads of posts, sorry if already been covered, but after no sleep last night my searching is probably not up to scratch.

I have a 2G iPhone unlocked, first with iLiberty way back when since then i have always used Pwnage with much success. In fact i did the 2.2.1 unlock etc a couple of weeks ago.

I come back from hols and there is another choice....Redsnow. What is it. Are there any benefits to using it over PWnage? Which is better and why?

I am going to sell my iphone and get the new one, what is the best way to ensure the phone is still unlocked etc working on all networks but does not have any of my personal stuff on it?

By the way i use a Mac at home.

Cheers
    D

2. trey8341 macrumors newbie

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Redsn0w is the new QuickPwn. It jailbreaks all iPhone versions except the 3GS and also unlocks the iPhone. The benefit is if you already upgraded to 3.0, you can use Redsn0w. If not, you can use either PwnageTool or RedSn0w. None are "better" per se, it depends on what you need I suppose.

Use the Erase All Content and Settings option. This will wipe your device rather thoroughly of your personal information. From their either restore a 3.0 stock firmware and use Redsn0w, or package a 3.0 firmware with Pwnage Tool and load on the device. Once done, download Ultrasn0w (instructions on teh dev team's website) and unlock the device.

One thing to remember, don't set the phone up as new or restore a previous backup if/when prompted.

w00t. Good, most of these tools are Mac only. :)

4. broncopde macrumors 6502

What do you mean by "it depends on what you need"? I've been out of the jailbreak scene for a year or so now (yes, since the app store emerged), and I am trying to figure out what to use to jailbreak my 1G iPod Touch. Thanks for any help.

5. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I used both on 3.0 and they both worked great.

PwnageTool jailbreaks, installs cydia and icy, and replaces the apple boot logo to a pineapple

redsn0w just jailbreaks and installs cydia only without replacing the apple boot logo.

I prefer redsn0w.

6. FuriousD thread starter macrumors member

Ahh, Ok.... I did not like QuickPWN, tried this the other week with 2.2.1 and itunes would not even connect to the iphone, ran Pwnage as before just the updated version, already had 3.9 and 4.6 and it worked a dream.

So:
    Settings/general/reset/Erase all content and settings......

Will this then lock the phone and return it to normal state, as in i have to use pwnage to jailbrake and unlock to use any sim?

Cheers
    D

7. crashnburn macrumors 6502

What about now.. Pwnage Tool or RedSnow?

Which side does the consensus stand as of now?

Pwnage or Redsnow?

PS: I am going from 8GB iPhone 2G 2.2 to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3.