Reduce brightness on external monitor w/ software?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by liquidsense, May 17, 2009.

1. liquidsense macrumors member

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. (I feel like I know a decent amount about my MBP and about a/v matters, so, I feel a bit dumb for not knowing the answer to this.)

I have an external monitor (Samsung 2223w) monitor connected to my MBP via DVI. The MBP is shut.

Is there a way that I can reduce the brightness of the external monitor quickly with software? Of course, I can manually reduce brightness by clicking the buttons on the side of the monitor and navigating through the menus. But is there a way that I can set a keystroke to do the same?

2. liquidsense thread starter macrumors member

bump

"Any way to control brightness of external monitor through software?"

3. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump, e.g. posts saying "anyone?" or the equivalent.

4. moiety macrumors member

Nope. No way. The only reason this works with Apple Cinema Displays is because they provide this functionality through the USB connection.

Of course, this would be perfectly possible if your Samsung had a USB connection and if Samsung had any incentive or desire to provide this functionality, but they don't and won't.

For what it's worth, there is *one* thing you can remote control with external displays attached to your MBP. Hit Control + Shift + Eject, and the external display will turn off. :)

5. sleekdj macrumors newbie

You should try Shades:
    http://www.charcoaldesign.co.uk/shades

I set the tint color of my built-in LCD to white and hide all the sliders, and set the tint color for my external monitor to black, so I can control it's brightness with a slider. Make sure to set min brightness so you can't set the screen completely black!