Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
I have heard reports that there is a new Reduce Motion option in the Accessibility settings, although I haven't been able to find out much about it. What does this setting do in regards to GUI animations (e.g. Mission Control, switching between Destops etc.)?

Does anyone have a video demonstrating its effect?

Thanks in advance.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I have heard reports that there is a new Reduce Motion option in the Accessibility settings, although I haven't been able to find out much about it. What does this setting do in regards to GUI animations (e.g. Mission Control, switching between Destops etc.)?

Does anyone have a video demonstrating its effect?

Thanks in advance.

I'm interested in this also. A video would be great!

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It does the same as on iOS. Animations in Mission Control, Notification Center and Launchpad are changed into a simple fade-in. The same is true for switching between spaces and entering full-screen mode (feels snappier as a result). It is a bit weird at the moment. Switching between spaces still animates the Dock whereas the rest just fades, for instance.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Like KALLT said, it simply replaces the motion-based animations like zooming and sliding and changing it to quick cross-fade animations, which makes the system feel faster because you see your data right away instead of waiting for the zooming animation to be done first.

Right now, I get the feeling the Reduce Motion is not yet fully optimized in the first seed. The video zooms out and in still, which I've filed a radar on and there are some glitches. Hopefully, Apple will optimize it in the next few months.

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
Guys did we get back those desktop previews in Mission control (Mavericks style) or are we still stuck with El Crap implementation requiring mouse cursor to hover at top of the screen?

Last edited:
Reactions: baryon

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Guys did we get back those desktop previews in Mission control (Mavericks style) or are we still stuck with El Crap implementation requiring mouse cursor hovering at top of the screen?

The latter. Nothing else seems to have been changed.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Guys did we get back those desktop previews in Mission control (Mavericks style) or are we still stuck with El Crap implementation requiring mouse cursor hovering at top of the screen?

I'm sure there is an app (can't remember which one) that allows you to configure a shortcut to view mission control desktops without requiring mouse hover over.... I.e like the old behaviour.

It may have been better touch tools or similar app. Someone else might know what I'm talking about!

R2FX

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2010
The latter. Nothing else seems to have been changed.

damn:(

I changed my Hot corner settings in EC to invoke Mission control from bottom left (in Mavericks currently) to top right to get those previews back, but it's hard to change my routing after nearly 10 years using Macs

let's try the Feedback tool again, huh :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.