Resolved reduce necessary bandwidth for facetime?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 7010, Aug 6, 2012.

1. 7010, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

7010 macrumors newbie

Hi guise,

straight to the point:

Say me and my best friend both have iPhones. Say we facetime.

If both him and I press the home button we disable video. Will the iPhone just keep sending the video data although neither phone is showing the video stream?

Or does the used bandwidth indeed drop significantly since video isn't being sent, thus improving audio quality in places where data connectivity is sub-par?

Best regards,

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I've never tried exactly that way, but I have switched apps mid-call...I can confirm that the audio stream still works fine, but I have a lot of bandwidth.

3. 7010 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. What I was referring to is going to another app ONLY to reduce required bandwidth. Basically starting a facetime call, then immediately going to reminders - not to use reminders but just so I switch off video, improving the audio quality when in bad connectivity / non-HDSPA regions.

4. k3roro macrumors 6502

Well, you can do a quick test, reset all statistics, have a facetime call with picture, take note of the data used, reset and have another one with you looking at the home screen. Then compare the data used to see =)

5. aleni macrumors 68020

I believe when u press the home button, the video is not being uploaded to your friend so the bandwith is allocated more to the quality of the audio stream. Because when i have a bad wifi in caffee, if i pressed the home button, the audio is not laggy than it was when the video enabled.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Why not just use skype or some other VOIP?

7. Skika macrumors 68030

I believe it stops sending video and only sends audio. At least that is how it works on OS X. If you have a FaceTime call full screen and switch to another screen the bandwidth decreases dramatically aprox from 200kbps to 20kbps.

8. 7010 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone, very helpful! :)

From my point of view, this is answered. Will do some testing when I get the new iPhone (will be my first one btw, hence me asking here instead of testing. Have a MacBook Air though)

Thanks again! Cheers!

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Then please mark the thread as "Resolved." -Thanks

10. 7010 thread starter macrumors newbie

Took me a while to find it. Thanks for pointing it out! :)