Reduce sudden motion sensor sensitivity?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zorinlynx, Dec 20, 2011.

1. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I had to disable the SMS on my 2010 Macbook Pro because it was triggering at the slightest motion of the machine. I'd have the system in my lap during normal use and just moving my leg slightly would trigger it, making an annoying clunk sound as the drive parks itself.

Is there a way to re-enable the sensor, but at a lower sensitivity? I'd still like to be protected by it, but don't want it going off all the time. Not only is the sound annoying but the constant parking and unparking can't be good for the drive!

2. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

i dont think you can adjust it but here:

Im sure you know this already

thats all i got on it.

My question is that if you have an SSD does this function even need to be on at all? I have 2 SSD's and no optical bay, so if i disable it will it help at all with battery life?

3. prisstratton macrumors 6502

prisstratton

The only option for SMS is either off or on, there is no way to set sensitivity.

There is no need to use SMS with an SSD drive - I am not sure what it would save you, but if it is another resource that does not need to be running then there has to be some saving.

4. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

useless apps is about all it does for me then. thanks. hope you got your answer OP, even if its not the one you wanted.